A. THE FIRST VERSE OF THE BIBLE SETS FORTH A MOST PROFOUND
1. It is an explanation of all that is, where it comes from, and why it’s here.
2. An us – what is the also the end of us.
B. WE SHOULD STUDY THIS VERSE AND EXAMINE ITS TRUTHS.
A. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF SOMETHING BEFORE – SOMETHING FROM ETERNITY.
1. Jesus and God are eternal (John 17:4; Col. 1:16-17).
2. His plan for saving us is an “eternal purpose” (Eph. 3:11; Titus 1:2).
B. THE BEGINNING OF TIME AS WE KNOW IT (John 1:1).
1. Scientists acknowledge such a beginning. – Big Bang, Evolution.
2. Disagreement on what happened and what caused it.
A. BELIEF IN GOD IS VITAL.
1. God shows himself in what he has done (Psa. 19:1; Rom. 1:18-20).
2. What has he done? (Heb. 1:10; Matt. 6:26, 28-29). Intelligent design.
3. Man is different (Psa. 139:14; 8:1-5).
a. The wonders of the human body.
b. rational thought, sense of morals, conscience, esthetic nature, personality
B. BELIEF THAT HE IS.
1. Self-existent. "WHO MADE GOD?" (John 5:26; Acts 17:24-25; Psa. 50:12 ).
2. Eternal – No beginning or end ( Rev. 1:8; Ex. 3:14; 90:1-2; 102:25ff).
a. In knowledge ( Psa. 139:1-2; Dan 2:20-22 ; John 16:30).- OMNISCIENT.
b. In presence(1 Kings 8:27; Psa. 139:7-10; Jer. 23:23-24 ). - OMNIPRESENT
c. In power (Job 42:2; Psa. 147:5; Jer. 32:17; Dan. 4:35). - OMNIPOTENT.
d. Righteous ( Deut. 32:4; Psa. 45:6-7; Psa. 89:14). – JUST.
A. IT ALL BELONGS TO HIM (Psa. 50:10-12).
B. HE CAN DO WITH AS HE WILL WITH WHAT IS HIS (Jer. 27:5).
C. MAN IS SPECIAL WITH A SPECIAL PLACE (Psa. 8:3-9).
D. HE ALSO HAS PURPOSE (Ecc. 12:13-14).
A. WE MUST NOT BE AS THOSE WHO REJECT HIM.
1. Some outright (Rom. 1:28).
2. Some by their manner of life (Prov. 14:2; 2 Pet. 2;1-2).
B. WE SHALL GIVE AN ACCOUNT TO GOD (Ecc. 12:14; 2 Cor. 5:10).
C. THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS WILL BE THE STANDARD (John 12:48).
D. WE NEED TO TURN TO GOD AND SERVE HIM (1 Thess. 1:9; Acts 17:30-31).
A. SPEND MORE TIME IN HIS WORLD (Acts 14:15-17).
B. SPEND MORE TIME IN HIS WORD (Psa. 1:1-3).
A. GOD MADE US AND WE WILL RETURN TO HIM (Ecc. 12:7).
B. SINCE WE ARE HIS CREATION AND HE HAS A PURPOSE FOR US, WHAT SHOULD
BE OUR AIM? (2 Cor. 5:9).