A. RIGHT AFTER ADAM AND EVE WERE EXPELLED FROM THE GARDEN.
B. WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CAIN’S AND ABEL’S SACRIFICES.
1. Both believed in God.
2. Both involved themselves in worship.
3. Both offered real sacrifices.
Very little difference!
A. Hebrews 11:4. ABEL MADE HIS SACRIFICE BY FAITH.
1. What does this mean? Not “in” faith.
2. Romans 10:17. God told Abel what to offer and he was guided by trust.
3. The difference seen in What was offered.
B. WE MAY INFER CAIN DID NOT OFFER BY FAITH.
1. He had instructions, too. If not, he should not be sacrificing.
2. He ignored them and did what seemed good to him – Presumptuous Sin.
a. His was not open rebellion. He did not transgress an edict.
b. He acted without authority.
A. Deut. 18:20; Psa. 19:13; Num. 15:30; Deut. 17:12-13; 2 Pet. 2:10.
B. COMPOSITE DEFINITION: “That which is not commanded, high handed,
proud, not hearkening or fearing, arising from a heart that won’t be governed by
C. Webster: “TO TAKE UPON ONESELF WITHOUT PERMISSION OR
AUTHORITY, ASSUME; AN OVERSTATING OF PROPER BOUNDS.”
D. EXAMPLES OF PRESUMPTUOUSNESS:
1. Uzzah ( 2 Sam. 6:3-7 ).
2. Nadab and Abihu ( Lev. 10:1-2 ).
3. Moses ( Num. 20:7-13 ).
A. CONCERNING WHAT WE TEACH AND PRACTICE
( 1 Pet. 4:11; Gal. 1:6-9; 2 John 9-11 ).
B. WE DON’T HAVE TO HAVE A “THOU SHALT NOT” TO LIMIT US.
Silence also limits us!!!
A. A WORLDLY MAN WITH A WORLDLY POINT OF VIEW ( 1 Cor. 2:14-15 ).
B. DID WHAT SEEMED RIGHT – PRESUMED ( Prov. 14:12; 1 Cor. 1:21 ).
C. Hebrews 5:14. THE MATURE CHRISTIAN HAS A SPIRITUAL OUTLOOK.
D. HIS AFFECTIONS ARE EFFECTED ( Rom. 12:9 ).
E. HE TESTS ALL THINGS BY THE STANDARD ( 1 Thess. 5:21-22 ).
F. HEAVEN HOLDS ALL( Col. 3:1-2 ).
A. WHO SPEAKS THIS MORNING AND YOU HEAR?
CAIN OR ABEL?
B. WHOSE WAY HAVE WE TAKEN?
C. ARE WE GUIDED BY THE SCRIPTURES – TRULY?