A. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES, SINFUL AND OTHERWISE.
B. THAT INCLUDES MANY OF THOSE WE REVERE AS HEROES OF FAITH.
C. OUR TEXT REVEALS A SERIES OF MISTAKES ABRAHAM MADE IN A
CRITICAL POINT OF HIS LIFE.
E. WE CAN LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES OF ABRAHAM.
A. GOD’S PROMISE WAS BECOMING A “STRETCH” (vs. 2a). He was 86, she 76!
B. A HUMAN SOLUTION WAS FOLLOWED (vs. 2).
1. What they did was acceptable in their society (vs. 3).
2. Society often runs contrary to what God reveals (Col. 2:8).
3. This solution was contrary to God’s plan for marriage (Gen. 2:24).
C. HUMAN SOLUTIONS ARE DEADLY (Prov. 16:25).
D. REAL FAITH CALLS US TO OBEDIENCE.
1. The Heroes of faith (Heb. 11:7, 8).
2. Faith without obedience (James 1:22; 2:14, 17, 20, 24, 26).
3. How does faith work (James 2:21-23; Heb. 11:17-19).
E. GOD KEEPS HIS WORD! (Acts 27:25).
A. GOD SPOKE TO ABRAHAM – NOT SARAH.
B. TOO OFTEN WE SEEK COUNSEL FROM THOSE OF THE WORLD (Psa. 1:1).
1. As noted, worldly wisdom leads to tragedy (Prov. 16:25).
2. Worldly counsel does not take God’s will into consideration (Rom. 1:28; 10:16).
3. Worldly counsel exalts itself (Rom. 1:21-22; Eph. 4:17).
4. Which leads to ignorance and moral degradation (Eph. 4:18-19).
C. WE ARE TO BE DISTINCT IN THOUGHT AND ACTION (Rom. 12:2).
D. WE SEEK THE BEST COUNSEL FROM GOD (Isa. 55:8-9; 1 Cor. 1:21; 3:18-19).
A. THIS IS SARAH’S MISTAKE!
1. It was her idea, and it had consequences she did not anticipate.
2. She was quick to blame Abraham for Hagar’s haughtiness.
B. BIBLICAL EXAMPLES:
1. Gen. 3:12-13. Adam blamed Eve, Eve the serpent, and the serpent …
2. 1 Sam. 15. Saul could never accept the blame for his sin.
3. 2 Sam. 12:13. David did and was forgiven.
C. WE MUST ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR SINS TO BE FORGIVEN
(1 John 1:9; Psa. 32:1-5).
A. IT WAS ABRAHAM’S PLACE TO CORRECT THE ERROR.
1. He forfeited the responsibility to Sarah.
2. Sarah again did the wrong thing – she acted on feeling without God’s input.
3. Hagar was sent back to Sarah.
B. GOD HAS GIVEN US POWER TO ACCOMPLISH (Phil. 4:13).
C. HE HAS GIVEN US WORK (Eph. 4:10).
D. WE ARE TO PUT ON THE WHOLE ARMOR AND STAND (Eph. 6:10-13).
A. Prov 3:5-8. TRUSTING GOD WILL HELP US TO NOT MAKE MISTAKES THAT
WILL MESS UP OUR LIVES.
B. WHEN WE DO MAKE MISTAKES – LIKE SIN – TRUSTING GOD WILL RESULT
INTHE FORGIVENESS THAT WE ALL DESIRE (Heb. 11:6).
 5 Trust in Jehovah with all thy heart, And lean not upon thine own understanding:
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes; Fear Jehovah, and depart from evil:
8 It will be health to thy navel, And marrow to thy bones.