A. NAAMAN MIGHTY, CAPTAIN, GREAT WITH HIS MASTER, HONORABLE.
B. "BUT HE WAS A LEPER."
C. ANALOGIES: LEPROSY & SIN, NAAMAN & SINNERS. WE WANT TO
ANALYZE THIS ANALOGY.
A. LEPROSY IS LOATHSOME.
1. It's removal is called cleansing. It begins as a boil and develops into a scab, or
a bright spot on the skin. As it spreads, pieces of flesh actually decay and fall
off. The stench of decomposing flesh is almost unendurable.
2. Sin is unendurably loathsome( Rom. 12:9 ).
a. Result is death( Ez. 18:20; Eph. 2:1 ).
b. Sin alienates from God( Isa. 59:1-2 ).
B. LEPROSY IS CONTAGIOUS.
1. Victims exiled without mercy!
2. Bad influence generally wins over good
( 1 Cor. 15:33; Eph. 5:11; 1 Cor. 5:6-8 ).
C. LEPROSY IS DECEPTIVE.
1. In the early stages, it is difficult to distinguish from a boil or rash.
2. Most who are in sin don't know it. Sin is deceptive( Col. 2:8; Heb.3:12-13 ).
D. LEPROSY IS NOT INHERITED BUT ACQUIRED( Ez.18:1-4, 19-20 ).
E. LEPROSY SPREADS SLOWLY AND DOMINATES MORE AND MORE.
1. Sin's spread may be imperceptible, a drift(Heb. 2:1).
2. But it develops a lock, a servitude( Heb. 3:12-13; 2:14-15 ).
F. THE ONLY RELEASE IS DEATH( Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:1 ).
G. GOD ALONE CAN HEAL( Eph.2:1, 4-5; John 14:6; Acts 4:12 ).
A. BECAUSE HE GOT MAD( vs. 11-12 ). To some the gospel is good news, but to
others, it makes them angry to be accused of sin.
B. BECAUSE OF HIS PRIDE HE WANTED TO BE ASKED TO DO SOME
1. The example of Jesus is for us( Phil. 2:5-8 ).
2. God favors the humble( 1 Pet. 5:5-6; Matt. 5:3 ).
C. BECAUSE HE HAD A PRECONCEIVED NOTION OF WHAT HE WOULD BE
TOLD TO DO( vs. 11; 2 Thes. 2:11-12; 1 Cor. 1:21-24 ).
D. BECAUSE HE LOOKED FOR SOMETHING SENSATIONAL
( vs. 11; 1 Cor. 1:21-24; 2 Cor. 11:3 ).
A. THE THING THAT NAAMAN WAS ASKED TO DO WAS SIMPLE AND
EASY, YET HE ALMOST REJECTED HIS ONLY HOPE!
B. WHAT GOD ASKS OF US IS SIMPLE AND EASY( Mark 16:16 ).