A. HIS DECLARATION AN INDICATION OF JOSHUA'S CHARACTER.
1. No record anywhere of a confrontation between Joshua and God.
2. Consider his influence( Josh. 24:31 ).
B. CONSIDER HIS LIFE BEFORE HIS ELEVATION TO LEADER OF ISRAEL
AND SEE WHAT INFLUENCED HIM TO BE AS HE WAS.
A. Exodus 17 - First Mention: Water from the Rock, Moses' Arms.
1. From Amelek's defiance( vs. 16 ). God will not tolerate rebellion.
a. God demands obedience today( 2 Thess. 1:7-9 ).
b. If we rebel( Heb. 10:26 ).
2. From Moses' arms. Victory is in God's power, not man's.
a. In God we defeat sin and death( 1 Cor. 15:57 ).
b. In Him we complete our work( Phil. 2:12-13; 4:13 ).
B. Exodus 24:9-13 - Joshua Sees God.
3. God is there - the reality of the unseen( Psa. 53:1; Rom. 1:20 ).
C. Exodus 32 - The Golden Calf, Joshua Hear the Sound of War.
4. War is not the worst thing that can happen to God's people.
a. Turning from God is worse( 2 Pet. 2:20-21 ).
b. We lose more than in war( Mark 8:36-37 ).
5. Turning from God leads to moral breakdown ( Rom. 1:18-32 ).
6. Merely using God's name does not evoke God's approval.
a. The calf represented God( vs. 4-5 ).
b. Built contrary to God's instruction( Ex. 20:8 ).
c. God's will must be honored( Matt. 7:21; 15:7-9; 1 Sam 15:22 ).
D. Numbers 11:26-30 - Eldad and Medad Prophesy.
7. The humility of God's prophet.
a. Jesus had the same experience( Luke 9:49-50 ).
b. In all things, God must have the glory( 1 Pet. 4:11 ).
E. Numbers 13 - At Kadesh-Barnea, the Twelve Spies.
Numbers 14 - The People Decide to Stone Moses, Aaron, Joshua
8. God + one = Majority ( Rom. 8:31 ).
9. God keeps his promise! All mature men died in the wilderness.
a. God keeps his promise to save( Heb. 6:18-19 ).
b. And his promise to punish( 2 Tim. 2:11-12 ).
F. Numbers 27 - Joshua Chosen to Lead.
Deut. 31:2-8 - Last Charge of Moses to Joshua.
10. God goes before us. Be courageous ( vs. 7-8 ).
a. We have the same promise( Matt. 28:20; 2 Cor. 13:11 ).
b. We must have the same courage!
A. KNOWLEDGE OF THESE LESSONS SHOULD HAVE AN EFFECT ON US
( Rom. 15:4; 1 Cor. 10:4 ).
B. BUT WE MUST SHARE HIS GREAT RESOLVE.
A. ARE YOU HEADED FOR THE PROMISED LAND?
B. OUR TAKING OF THE LAND IS AS DIFFICULT AS THEIRS.
C. WE MUST HAVE THE SAME OBEDIENT CHARACTER.