A. JOSHUA SETS UP TWO “MONUMENTS.”
1. “Something set p to keep alive the memory of some thing, person, time or event.”
2. Joshua’s monuments memorialized the entry into Canaan.
B. HISTORY BUFF – SEEK OUT AND STUMBLE UPON MONUMENTS.
C. JESUS HAS LEFT MONUMENTS TO HIS RESURRECTION ( Acts 14:17 ).
A. The foundation of the church rests on Christ's Deity
( Matt. 16:16-18 ).
B. Christ's claim to Deity rests on the Resurrection
( Matt. 12:38-40; Rom 1:3-4 ).
C. Tho hated and persecuted, the church is still here!
A. The Bible testifies concerning his life ( John 20:30-31 ).
B. It records the testimony of eyewitnesses
( 1 Cor. 15-1-8; 1 John 1:1-4 ).
C. The Bible is a unique book - How do we know? What are its proofs?
1. It is trustworthy - the witnesses skeptics ( Mark 16:9-13 ).
2. It is demanding ( John 20:30-21 ).
3. It is guaranteed ( 2 Cor. 4:7-12 ).
A. From Pentecost - early writers refer to the "Lord's Day."
B. Rev. 1:10. John, by inspiration, uses the term.
C. A day of remembrance( Acts 20:7 ).
1. Resurrection day( Luke 24:1-3 ).
2. Pentecost - 50 days after Passover Sabbath ( 1 Cor. 15:20-23 ). Also called the
Feast of Weeks or First Harvest.
a. Here is another institution from the beginning ( Acts 2:42 ).
B. It proclaims his death ( 1 Cor. 11:23-26, 29 ).
C. It also affirms a belief in the resurrection ( vs. 26 ).
A. John's work was preparatory ( Mat. 3:1-3; John 1:7-8 ).
1. So was his baptism ( John 1:29-31 ).
2. John's baptism was for remission of sins ( Mark 1:1-5 ).
B. From Pentecost - a new significance - into his death
( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
C. Baptism also affirms the resurrection ( Rom. 6:4-5 ).
A. SOME MONUMENTS PROVE HIS RESURRECTION.
B. SOME MERELY KEEP IT BEFORE US.
C. WE MAY PARTAKE IN BOTH HIS DEATH AND HIS RESURRECTION
( Rom. 6:3-4 ).