A. OUR TEXT INFERS THAT MAN IS A MORAL BEING. HE CAN CHOOSE.
1. Adam and Eve were created with choice ( Gen. 2:16-17 ). Implied in the command.
2. Chosen good is the highest good.
3. To give man the ability to choose good, you also give him the ability to choose evil.
B. FREE MORAL AGENCY TAUGHT THROUGHOUT THE BIBLE.
1. Psa. 119:30, 173; Prov. 1:29; 3:31; Josh 24:22; Judges 10:14.
2. The Great Invitation ( Matt. 11:28; Rev. 22:17 ).
3. God’s desire ( 2 Pet. 3:9; Matt. 7:13-14 ).
C. THE POWER OF CHOICE:
1. Evil influence of heredity overcome by choice: Ahaz Ø Hezekiah.
2. Evil influence of environment overcome by choice: Saints where? ( Phil. 4:22 ).
A. THE CHOICE OF MASTERS IS INESCAPABLE.
1. Moral servitude a result of choice, not birth ( Josh. 24:15; 1 Thess. 1:9 ).
2. Our choice is narrow.
a. Only 2 alternatives: God or idols (1 Kings 18:21), Obedience or sin (Rom. 6:16-18).
b. Neutrality is not possible ( Matt. 12:30 ).
c. Compromise is not possible ( Matt. 6:24 ).
B. THE CHOICE OF CAUSES IS INESCAPABLE.
1. At age 40, Moses was confronted with a choice ( Heb. 11:24-26 ).
2. What was involved in his two alternatives?
a. The Hebrews or Egyptians, Freedom or Slavery.
b. Wealth or affliction. Which does worldly wisdom demand? ( Acts 7:22 ).
c. The choice made by others? Jesus ( John 10:17-18; 2 Cor. 8:9 ). Paul ( Phil. 3:7 ).
3. An easy choice when the “big picture” is considered.
a. Wealth is fleeting ( Matt. 6:19-21 ).
b. Heaven and Hell are forever ( Matt. 25:46 ).
C. THE CHOICE OF DESTINIES IS INESCAPABLE ( 2 Cor. 5:10; Heb. 4:12-13 ).
1. Who in their right mind ...?
2. Some want the easy way ( Matt. 7:13-14 ).
3. We choose where we go when we choose the road we take and who we follow.
A. REASONS MORAL CHOICE IN INDIVIDUAL.
1. Created individually ( Gen. 2:7 ) Each of us has a soul.
2. God saves us individually ( Mark 16:15-16 ). Every Creature.
3. God judges us individually ( Rom. 14:12; 2 Cor. 5:10 ).
B. AS AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE, IT MUST BE INDEPENDENT OF:
1. Family ( Matt. 10:34-39 ).
2. Friends ( 1 Pet. 4:1-4 ). “I will if you will.” “I will even if you won’t.”
3. Popular choice ( Matt. 26:33; Rom. 3:4 ).
A. SOME CHOICES ARE NOT URGENT, THEREFORE, NOT IMMEDIATE.
1. Young people in college can wait sometimes to choose a major. Important decision.
2. When and who to marry are choices that should be made slowly.
B. MORAL CHOICE, BETWEEN GOD AND SATAN, IS BEING MADE NOW.
1. To put off choosing Jesus is to choose ( Matt. 12:30 )
a. We may not see tomorrow ( 1 Thess. 5:1-6; Heb. 9:27 ). Will we live?
b. Yesterday is gone. All we have is right now.
c. To say “later” is to say “no” with the only time we can be sure of ( Matt. 12:30 ).
2. Now is the time to make the right choice ( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).
A. GOING TO HEAVEN IS NOT AN ACCIDENT.
B. IT IS THE RESULT OF MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICES.
C. CHOOSE YOU THIS DAY WHOM YOU WILL SERVE.