A. THIS PSALM FOLLOWS SHORTLY DAVID'S SIN WITH BATHSHEBA.
B. THE WORD "COVER" IS USED IN DIFFERENT SENSES.
1. To cover with protection( Isa. 51:16 ).
2. To cover with destruction( Ez. 26:19 ).
3. To cover with forgiveness( Psa. 32:1 - note other phrases in Psalm ).
A. WHAT IS SIN?( 1 John 3:4; 5:17; James 4:17 ).
B. HOW DOES GOD REGARD IT?( Rev.3:4; Matt. 23:27; Isa. 1:6; 2 Pet. 2:22 ).
C. THE CONSEQUENCE OF SIN:
1. Separates from God( Isa. 59:1-2; Col. 1:21 ).
2. Results in misery and suffering - David( 2 Sam. 12:10-14 ).
3. Eternal punishment( Rev. 21:8 ).
A. MUST REALIZE THIS IS A FIGURE OF SPEECH. SEE OTHER
EXPRESSIONS IN PASSAGE( Acts 3:19; 22:16; Psa. 6:2 - healed ).
B. NOTICE SOME THINGS THAT CANNOT COVER SIN.
1. Denial( Rom. 3:23; 1 John 1:8 ). Who could make such a claim.
2. Concealment - Adam & Eve, Achan, Jonah( Heb 4:13; Ecc. 12:14 ).
3. Refusal to think about it( Psa. 51:3 ).
a. What makes us think if we forget, God does, too?
b. God remembers over the years( 2 Pet. 3:8 ).
4. Distance - Leaving the scene - Jonah( Psa. 139 ).
5. Good deeds are fine, but( Psa. 51:16; 1 Sam.15:21-23 ).
C. GOD ALONE CAN COVER SIN, AND ONLY ON HIS TERMS WILL HE.
1. We have our sins covered through his blood( 1 Pet. 1:18-19 ).
2. What is the power of the blood of Christ( Heb. 9:11-15; Rom. 5:8-9 ).
3. What is the significance of his life?
a. Calvinists teach it is his righteousness imputed to us that saves.
b. This is one passage they use( Heb. 10:1-10 ). But...
c. Qualified him as a Savior( Heb. 7:25-28 ).
d. Serves as an example( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
4. Where do we meet the blood( Rom. 6:3-4 ).