A. GREATEST TEMPORAL GIFT( vs. 4-5 ).
B. STEWARDS OF GOD'S HERITAGE.
1. Responsible for physical, social, moral, spiritual guidance and development.
2. God entrusted children to those who see them as people and have an
emotional attachment for them.
C. CICERO: "What gift has Providence bestowed on man, that is so dear to him as his children."
A. SOLOMON( Prov. 29:15 ).
1. Like a garden, needs continual nurturing and weeding.
2. Latch-key children, sometimes of non-working parents.
B. DO WE SIN AGAINST THE CHILD THRU NEGLECT?( Gen. 42:22 ).
1. We must begin early to develop good habits and life-styles. Bible class.
2. "It's 10 o'clock, do you know where your children are?"
A. Prov. 22:6. "AS THE TWIG IS BENT..." START WITH THE TWIG.
B. 1 Tim. 5:8. EXTENDS TO CHILDREN.
1. More than discipline. Includes food, shelter, clothing, etc. Security.
2. Phil. 2:3-4. We must turn loose of self. Especially true here.
Eph. 5:25; 2 Tim. 3:2
A. ABRAHAM WAS PICKED( Gen. 18:19 ).
1. "That he will command his children..."
2. His children and family began their training with a respect for God's word.
B. UNDER MOSES LAW( Deut. 6:6-7 ).
1. What receives more attention in your home. Comics, TV, video games.
2. You have the right to set the agenda. You are the parent!
3. When God gets the emphasis( Isa. 54:13 ).
4. How much upheaval will it cause at your house? Some would rather see the
cops come to their house than the preacher.
A. THE FRUIT OF LOVE( Prov. 13:24 ).
B. BEARS THE FRUIT OF JOY( Prov. 29:17 ).
C. AND A GOOD LIFE( Heb. 12:7-11 ).
D. HOW SHOULD CORRECTION BE HANDLED( Eph. 6:4; Col. 3:21 ).
1. Demands complete attention.
2. Demands love and firmness.
3. There is a holy object.
A. THE GREATEST GIFT YOU CAN GIVE YOUR CHILDREN
( Eph. 5:25; Titus 2:4-5 ).
B. THE POWER OF A GOOD EXAMPLE.
1. The key to Timothy's usefulness( 2 Tim. 3:14-15 ).
2. Who set the example( 2 Tim. 1:5 ).