A. DAVID'S PSALM, NOTHING KNOWN OF BACKGROUND EXCEPT:
1. It was a time of general depravity.
2. Men can't be taken at their word and the innocent are oppressed by it.
B. DAVID'S COMPLAINT AND GOD'S PROMISE TO ARISE IN PROTECTION.
A. COMPROMISING GODLY REPUTATIONS.
1. The faithful clung to that description, but denied its force by their lives.
2. Their speech condemned them.
a. They spoke falsehood - vanity, KJV( John 8:44; Rev. 21:8 ).
b. They said one thing and did another.( 23:1-5 ).
3. Menpleasers( Jer. 5:30-31; Gal. 1:10 ). Flattery was their stock and trade.
4. Jesus condemned this hypocrisy( Matt. 6:1 ).
B. THE FAITHFUL DISAPPEAR.
1. David was counseled by great men like Samuel and Nathan.
2. But there was also Abner and Joab. Ruthless and violent men.
3. Psalms filled with this complaint.
4. David begins to wonder, like Elijah, if he alone is left( 1 Kings 19:13-18 ).
5. Paul tells of hard times ahead( 1 Tim. 4:1-2; 2 Tim. 3:1-5; 4:3-4 ).
a. We will not be left alone( Phil. 1:27; 4:4-5; 2 Tim. 4:16-17 ).
b. Will we disappear?( Heb. 10:35-39 ).
C. ARROGANCE. "WHO IS LORD OVER US?"
1. Listen to these, formerly godly people, now tempt God to destroy them.
2. 2 Pet. 3:9. God's forbearance misunderstood( Psa. 50:16-21 ).
3. No pangs of conscience or fear of God( Isa. 2:11-12; 2 Pet. 3:1-7 ).
4. A gradual progression to arrogant rebellion( Psa. 1:1-2 ).
D. FORSAKING THE TRUTH BY LIES AND COMPROMISE( Prov. 23:23 ).
We live in an age of religious compromise, once sacred beliefs are now being cast
onto the ash heap just so we can all get along
1. Pope's compromise on evolution.
2. Theologians compromise on Jesus and the miraculous.
3. To be politically correct, many are expanding ecumenism to include Jews,
Moslems, Hindus, and even agnostics in their fellowship.
4. Protestantism's compromise on moral issues, such as( 1 Cor. 6:9-11 ).
5. Many in the Lord's church have taken up the mantra of tolerance.
a. False notion of Romans 14.
b. Danger of putting things there that don't belong( Mat. 15:13-14 ).
c. Our reaction to error( Eph. 5:11 - elegcho-"to convict, to refute, to
confute a) generally with a suggestion of shame of the person convicted
b) by conviction to bring to the light, to expose" ).
d. (2 John 9-11 ).
A. NATIONAL MOOD.
1. ( Prov. 14:34 ). When sin is upheld by a nation, it is doomed.
2. God rules the nations thru Jesus( Psa. 9:5-8; Isa. 60:12; Rev 2:26-27 ).
3. Would God give up on us?( Rom. 1:21-28 ).
B. NO DISAPPROVAL OF EVIL.
1. In 1994, then Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders said in a Methodist church
in Austin, "It is time for ministers to stop moralizing from the pulpit."
2. Israel's condemnation( Isa. 5:18-21; Mal 1:13 )
3. No one stood up for right( Ez. 22:30; Jer. 8:11 ).
4. The spirit of Isaiah( Isa. 6:8 ).
A. JUDGMENT PRONOUNCED AGAINST THE WICKED( vs. 3 ).
1. It is certain( Ecc. 11:9; 12:14; 2 Cor. 5:10 ).
2. Tho we may deny it( 2 Pet. 3:1-7 ).
B. DELIVERANCE OF THE RIGHTEOUS OPPRESSED.
1. The promise of God. His words are pure( 2 Tim. 2:11-13 ).
2. Avenging and deliverance( 2 Thess. 1:7-20 ).
3. The ultimate victory is for the faithful( 1 Cor. 15-55-58 ).
J. S. Smith