A. NOT DEALING WITH CONSTITUTION BUT WITH SCRIPTURE.
B. HOT ISSUE - VERY EMOTIONAL. IS IT LEGALIZED MURDER?
C. LET'S LOOK AT CAPITAL PUNISHMENT IN THE 3 DISPENSATIONS.
A. CAIN WAS A MURDERER, YET PROTECTED BY GOD( Gen. 4:9-15 ).
B. GOD'S ATTITUDE AFTER THE FLOOD( Gen. 9:5-6 ).
C. JUDAH'S POWER IN HIS FAMILY( 38:24 ).
D. THE PATRIARCH'S FEAR( 42:21 ).
E. ABIMELECH USED IT AS A DETERRENT( 26:11 ).
A. Ex. 20:13. DOES IT REALLY PROHIBIT CAPITAL PUNISHMENT?
B. CAPITAL PUNISHMENT – AN IMPORTANT INSTITUTION IN THE OT.
C. CITIES OF REFUGE INSURE TRIAL FOR CAPITAL CRIME.
ESPECIALLY FOR MURDER( Num. 35:6, 11-12, 16-21, 29-32 ).
D. 13 SINS SPECIFICALLY CALLED FOR THE DEATH PENALTY:
1. Murder( Ex. 21:12-14 ).
2. Striking or reviling a parent( Ex. 21:15,17; Deut. 21:18-21 )
3. Man stealing( Ex. 21:16 ).
4. Beast kills, owner does nothing( Ex. 21:28-29 ).
5. Witchcraft and false prophet( Ex. 22:18; Deut. 18:9-14, 20 ).
6. Blasphemy against God( Lev. 24:14-23 ).
7. Sabbath breaking( Ex. 31:14-15 ).
8. Idolatry( Lev. 20:2; Ex. 22:20 ).
9. Perjury in a capital case( Deut. 19:16-19 ).
10. Adultery( Deut. 22:22 ). 12. Rape( Deut. 22:25-27 ).
11. Unchastity( Deut. 22:21, 23-24 ). 13. Unnatural sex( Lev. 20:10-16 ).
E. WHERE MAN HESITATED GOD DID NOT( Num. 15:32-36 ).
A. Acts 25:10-11. "WORTHY TO DIE" - CERTAIN CRIMES WORTHY OF DEATH.
B. Rom. 13:1-4. "BEARS NOT THE SWORD IN VAIN" - macarah,- "sword of
A. DOESN'T DETER CRIME! DOESN'T IT?
1. Paul Harvey's story of the grocery clerk.
2. Rape drop off in Spain after manual strangulation of two rapists in public square.
3. "Most murders are out of passion or during drunkenness where the
consequences are never considered. So the death penalty is not even thought
of." But what if it stops one murder? Most recent murders involve depraved
killers who stalk their victims. They had plenty of time to think about the
death penalty. They saw they wouldn't get it, so they killed innocent children.
Examples. Poland brothers had all the way to Lake Meade from Bumblebee.
Death of Christianne Fornoff. Richard Bible.
4. Punishment not always intended to deter( Rom. 1:28-32 ).
B. "THOU SHALT NOT KILL!"( Ex. 20:13 ).
1. "Do no murder"( Matt. 19:18, KJV ).
2. ratsach, murder, pierce. Young.
3. 13 crimes in which killing demanded - Sent Jews to war.
C. "CONTRARY TO CHRISTIAN CHARACTER"( Mat. 5:38-39; Rom. 12:19 ).
1. Deals not with civil government., but with individual attitudes and
2. Would prevent any punishment such as jail or fines.
3. God designed civil government as his agent for vengeance.
D. death penalty FINE, BUT CHRISTIAN CANNOT PARTICIPATE.
1. Furnish the passage. Civil powers ordained and approved of God.
2. No double standard.
A. THE BIBLE SUPPORTS THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IN CAPITAL
B. RATHER THAN BEING CRITICAL OF POLICEMEN & JUDGES AND THEIR
ROLES WE NEED TO TEACH RESPECT FOR LAW AND THOSE WHO
UPHOLD IT.( Ecc. 8:11 ).