A. TIME IS A PROBLEM WHEN WE REALIZE HOW LITTLE THERE IS.
1. Scarce and irreplaceable.
2. Implies responsibility.
B. OUR TEXT SAYS, "FEW DAYS AND FULL OF TROUBLE."
A. MUST LEARN MY FRAILTY AND THE MEASURE OF MY DAYS.
1. Psa. 39:4-5. We are only here for a while.
2. Psa. 90:4-12. Brevity of life demands that we make each day count.
B. I MUST CARE FOR MY BODY THAT MY DAYS MAY BE LENGTHENED.
1. Psa. 90:10; 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
2. Phil. 1:21-24. Long life implies responsibility.
C. I MUST REDEEM THE TIME.
1. Lost time is gone - cannot be bought back. Use time we have as best we can.
2. Idleness leads to sin( 1 Tim. 5:13 ).
D. I MUST LEARN NOT TO PROCRASTINATE.
1. The Bible emphasizes the "NOW"( 2 Cor. 6:2; Heb. 3:7-8 ).
2. We don't know if there will be a tomorrow( Prov. 27:1; James 4:13-14 ).
3. Tomorrow is the fool's day( Luke 12:16-21 ).
4. Macbeth, Shakespeare,
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time:
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death.
5. The road to Hell is pave with what?
A. NOT APPLYING ONESELF( Ecc. 9:10 ).
1. The easy way is not the way to Heaven or happiness.
2. Goofing off or just "hanging" may have its use, but can be overdone.
3. True in the spiritual realm, too( Rom. 12:6ff.; John 15:1-2 ).
B. CHEAP LITERATURE AND UNWHOLESOME ENTERTAINMENT.
1. Garbage in - garbage out( Phil. 4:8 ).
2. Matt. 6: 13. Why do we pray this when ... ?( 1 Pet. 5:8; 1 Cor. 15:33 ).
3. The world tells us we are silly( Eph. 5:6, 11; Psa. 1:1-2 ).
C. RECREATION, PLEASURE FIRST.
1. The world is pleasure mad - we live to play( 2 Tim. 3:4 ).
2. Does the pursuit of pleasure (fun) crowd out service
( Matt. 13:22; 1 Tim. 5:6; Prov. 21:17; Ecc. 11:9-12:1).
D. HOLDING GRUDGES( Rom. 12:19 ).
E. PONDERING PAST MISTAKES( Phil. 3:13 ).
F. WORRYING ABOUT THE FUTURE( Matt. 6:34 ).
3 Time Saving Rules:
1. Turn lose of Yesterday for it is gone.
2. Do not reach for Tomorrow for it has not come.
3. Grab hold of today for it is here.
G. GOSSIP AND LISTENING TO GOSSIP( Lev. 19:16 ).
1. Gossip can never be trusted - The Gossip Game.
2. Gossip destroys( Prov. 26:28 ).
3. Get off the Phone!!!!!!!
D. SLOTHFUL HABITS AND MANNERS.
1. Hit the floor, Sluggard( Prov. 6:9-11; 25:13-16 ).
2. Indecision and disorganization.( Prov. 24:30-32; 20:4 ).
a. Decide first what needs to be done.
b. Do the most important thing first.
c. Stick to it until finished.
3. Some people have the "slows"( Ecc. 9:10 ).
4. Rom. 12:11; John 9:4; Psa. 119:60.
5. Turn Off That Television!!!! Vegging out has its limits.
A. ALL MUST BE DONE WITH GOD IN MIND( James 4:13-17 ).
B. SOME DECISION WILL BE MADE NOW!
C. WE MAY NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO CHANGE( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).