A. DANIEL IS A PERSON WORTH IMITATING.
1. He started out preeminent among the children of Israel( Dan. 1:3-6 ).
2. He gained preeminence among the wise of men of Babylon( Dan. 1:17-20 ).
3. He was given power over all of Babylon( Dan. 2:48-49; 5:29 ).
4. He received similar power over the Medo-Persian empire( Dan. 6:1-3, 28 ).
B. HOW WAS DANIEL ABLE TO ACHIEVE THIS AND REMAIN GODLY?
C. THE SECRET IS IN DANIEL. IT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR US, TOO.
A. "DANIEL PURPOSED IN HIS HEART..."( Dan. 1:8 ).
1. Immediately challenged to violate God's law by eating the king's food.
2. Daniel "purposed in his heart" to uphold the law of God, no matter the cost.
3. Because of this God granted Daniel favor in the sight of others( Dan. 1:9 ).
4. It happened in the case of Joseph, also( Gen. 39:1-4; 21-23 ).
B. EVERY CHILD OF GOD NEEDS TO BE A PERSON OF PURPOSE...
1. A strong sense of purpose often breeds respect and admiration in
2. What should be the "purpose" of the Christian?( Ecc. 12:13 ).
a. Jesus makes it clear in Matt. 6:33.
b. We are God's instruments( Phil. 2:12-16; James 5:19 ).
c. We contrast with the world( Matt. 9:36 ).
d. We know who we are and where we are going!( Col. 3:1-2 ).
C. WILL YOU DARE TO BE A DANIEL AND BE A PERSON WITH PURPOSE?
A. HE REFUSED TO COMPROMISE HIS CONVICTIONS.
1. As a young man, by refusing to eat the king's meat, drink his wine( Dan. 1:8 ).
2. As an old man, by refusing the gifts of Belshazzar( Dan. 5:13-17 ).
3. Under threat of persecution, refusing to obey decree of Darius( Dan. 6:10 ).
B. STANDING ON PRINCIPLE, YOU NEVER STAND ALONE.
1. Principle is important( Matt. 23:23-26 ).
2. It must be honored( Eph. 5:11; Rom. 12:9 ).
3. God approves people who will stand by their principles( Rom. 8:31 )., and by
their words( Psa. 15:1-5 ).
4. Examples: Levi's; Ben & Jerry's; Education activists. How did you vote?
5. Talk the talk and walk the walk!
C. A MAN OF PRINCIPLE IS TRUSTED. DECIDE WHAT IS IMPORTANT
AND STICK WITH IT NO MATTER WHAT( Prov. 23:23 ).
A. HIS OPPONENTS COULD NOT FIND ANY FAULT.
1. Faultless when it came to management of his business affairs( Dan 6:1-4 ).
2. Explains his rise to positions of great responsibility and power.
3. Of course, his purity in business affairs was related to...
a. His overall purpose to please God first.
b. And the fact that as a man of principle he could be trusted.
B. THE CHRISTIAN IS ALSO TO MAINTAIN PURITY OF CONDUCT
1. Whether young or old( 1 Tim. 4:12; Titus 2:6-8 ).
2. Whether slave or free( Titus 2:9-10 ).
3. Matt. 5:13-16.
A. A GLIMPSE OF HIS HABIT( Dan. 6:10 ).
1. He knelt in prayer, a demonstration of his humility.
2. Prayed three times daily, a demonstration of his dependence on God.
3. He gave thanks in the midst of persecution, a demonstration of his gratitude
and the fact that he had not lost sight of God's blessings.
4. A "custom since early days", - persistence and faithfulness in service to God.
5. Is it not likely that his "custom" to pray so diligently helped him to remain a
man of purpose, principle and purity, despite his rise to power and
preeminence over the empire?
B. CHRISTIANS WOULD DO WELL TO FOLLOW DANIEL'S EXAMPLE.
1. As Christians, we too are to pray often( 1 Thess. 5:17-18; Col. 4:2 ).
2. In prayer we talk to God.
3. James 5:16. It accomplishes so much( Phil. 4:6-7; 1 Pet. 3:12 ).
C. 1 Cor. 15:33. WHAT WILL ASSOCIATION WITH GOD IN PRAYER DO?
A. DANIEL FOUND FAVOR IN THE EYES OF GOD AND MEN.
B. SO DID JOSEPH, PAUL AND JESUS.
C. OUR STANDING BEFORE GOD IS MOST IMPORTANT.
D. WE MUST BE PEOPLE OF: