A. BAPTISM IS CONTROVERSIAL.
1. Teaching is quite plain. Lots of passages.
2. Failure to understand & properly apply contributes to the problem.
3. Maybe failing to distinguish different baptisms is to blame.
B. IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THERE ARE 6 BAPTISMS.
1. Ephesians 4:5. One that all Christians have in common, uniting us.
2. We need to study them, what they are and how they apply.
A. FIGURE DESCRIBING THE RED SEA CROSSING( Ex. 14:5-20 ).
1. A figure where comparison is useful( 1 Cor. 10:11 ).
2. Refers to people's deliverance which began their New Life.
3. Baptism is where we are delivered and begin our New Life( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
B. BAPTISM TYPICAL OF THE ONE BAPTISM - IT ISN'T THE ONE BAPTISM.
A. JOHN'S PURPOSE - PREPARE THE PEOPLE( John 1:29-34 ).
1. Jews exceedingly wicked - John's purpose( Mal. 4:5-6; Luke 1:16-17 ).
2. Under the law, washing preparatory for service - Ceremonial cleansing.
B. JOHN'S BAPTISM DIFFERED FROM THE ONE JESUS COMMANDED.
1. Acts 19:1-7. Not acceptable.
2. John's baptism looked to the future( vs. 4; Rom. 6:3-4 ).
3. Christ's baptism in his name( Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:38 ).
4. John's baptism for the Jews only( Mark 16:15-16 ).
5. John's baptism was for the remission of sins( Luke 3:3 ), but ...
6. The Basic Flaw.
Didn't put one into the right fellowship( Gal. 3:26-27; 1 Cor. 12:13 ).
C. DOES YOUR BAPTISM HAVE ANY OF THESE FLAWS?
A. JOHN SPEAKING TO A MIXED CROWD.
1. Some were future disciples - some perhaps would be apostles.
2. Others unbelievers, came out of curiosity
- Sadducees and Pharisees( vs. 7 ).
B. WHAT IS THE BAPTISM OF FIRE?( vs. 8-12; Matt. 25:41 ).
C. YOU DON'T WANT THIS "FUTURE" BAPTISM.
A. JESUS PROMISED THE APOSTLES( John 14:26; 16:13; Acts 1:5 ).
B. GOD PROMISED( Joel 2:28 - Acts 2:16-17 ).
a. Not all flesh( animals ).
b. Not all people( blasphemers ).
2. In a figure - 2 kinds of flesh. Jew and Gentile!
a. Jews( Acts 2:1-4 ). Apostles.
Why? New message( vs. 32-33 ).
b. Gentiles( Acts 10:44-49; 11:15-18 ). Cornelius.
Why? New people( 15:7-9 ).
C. DIFFERENCE IN THIS AND OTHERS RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. Apostles and Cornelius unaware until it happened.
2. The Greek word means in addition to immersion, metaphorically to
overwhelm. They were overwhelmed - controlled by the Spirit.
3. In other instances( 1 Cor. 14:26-33 ).
D. ONLY ONE BAPTISM COMMANDED TODAY. THIS ONE PROMISED.
A. THOSE LABORING UNDER THE GREAT COMMISSION PREACHED
WATER BAPTISM( Acts. 8:36-39; 10:47 ).
B. WATER PLAYS AN IMPORTANT PART( Eph. 5:25-27; Heb. 10:22 ).
C. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF WATER BAPTISM?
1. "For the remission of your sins"( Acts 2:38 ).
2. Fellowship in Christ's death( Rom. 6:3-4 ). New Life.
3. 1 Pet. 3:21. Saves us - Not a fleshly cleansing.
D. WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
1. Those who believe( Mark 16:16 ).
2. Those who repent( Acts 2:38 ).
E. WHY BE BAPTIZED?
1. Jesus commands it( Matt. 28:19; Acts 22:16 ).
2. It puts one into Christ( Gal. 3:27 ).