A. A MOST TRAGIC YOUNG MAN.
1. Appears full of hope – leaves filled with sorrow .
2. Wanted to serve the Lord.
3. Young, having all a man might want, didn’t have what was most important.
B. LET’S STUDY FURTHER.
A. FROM THE WORLD’S POINT OF VIEW. THE IDEAL!
1. Young, on the brink of life – energy, zeal, idealism – ability to commit themselves to
a cause, if they will( Ecc. 12:1 ).
2. He was a ruler( Luke 18:18 ). Position, Power, Prestige.
3. He was wealthy … but not toward God( Luke 12:21 ).
B. FROM HEAVEN’S POINT OF VIEW.
1. He was earnest in his quest – came running( Mark 10:17 ).
2. A certain amount of humility – he knelt( Mark 10:17 ).
3. He knew Jesus had the answers – didn’t dispute( Heb. 1:1-2 ).
C. HE REALIZES SOMETHING IS MISSING.
1. A model of goodness – moral purity, and more than a passing interest.
2. Kept the law – Wanted to do more than just get by( Matt. 5:47 ).
3. Should have kept his mouth shut.
4. What about me? ARE WE ANXIOUS TO SERVE?
D. “WHAT LACK I YET?”
A. SELL OUT AND GIVE TO THE POOR.
1. Not asked of anyone else.
2. Levi did it( Luke 5:27-28 ). And the rest( Matt. 19:27 ).
B. WHAT JESUS ASKED REQUIRED COMMITMENT.
1. Priorities( Matt. 6:19-21 ). What is important?
2. Crucifixion of self( Luke 9:23; Gal. 2:20 è 1 Pet. 4:1-2 ).
3. Commitment to his cause( 1 Cor. 9:23 ).
4. 2 Tim. 4:12.
C. IS OUR EYE SINGLE?( Matt. 6:22-24 ).
1. Values è vs. 19-21.
2. Affections è vs. 21-24.
3. Priorities è vs. 24-33.
A. THE RICH YOUNG RULER COULD DO A LOT FOR THE CAUSE.
B. JESUS TURNED HIM AWAY? WHY?
C. WOULD A LACK OF COMMITMENT CAUSE HIM TO TURN ME AWAY?