A. HERE JESUS POINTS OUT TWO CAUSES FOR RELIGIOUS ERROR.
1. What happens when the Scriptures are gone( Jer. 10:23; Psa. 119:105 ).
2. What happens if we forget God's power( Phil. 4:13 ).
B. Sadducees thought their religion was so practical &
common-sense. they had cleared Judaism of all
Supernatural - it wasfoolish to them.
C. JESUS CONTRADICTED MUCH OF THEIR TEACHING - HE WAS THEIR
D. WHY WERE THEY SO DEEP IN ERROR?
A. SADDUCEES CLAIMED TO KNOW THE SCRIPTURES.
1. Many of the scribes, rabbis, priests were Sadducees!
2. Most of the council was Sadducee.
3. They could readily quote Scripture.
4. They rejected those Scriptures which taught an after life
( Dan. 12:2; Ecc. 12:7.13-14; Hos. 13:14 ).
B. MOST RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY IS DUE TO IGNORANCE
1. Faith only( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Heb. 5:8-9; Jas. 2:24 )
2. Baptism is a non-essential( Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 1 Pet. 3:21 Rom. 6:3-5 ).
3. No importance to the name( 1 Cor. 1:10; 1 Pet. 4:15-16 ).
4. One Church is as good as another( Eph. 1:22-23; 2:16; 4:4 ).
5. Divorce for any cause( Matt. 19:9 ).
6. Once saved( Gal. 5:4 ).
A. THE RESURECTION WAS BEYOND THEIR POWER TO UNDERSTAND.
1. Everything defined by the realm of their experience.
2. Seeing wasn't always believing.
B. THIS ATTITUDE IS PREVALENT TODAY.
1. Many who teach the gospel is God's power to save deny the basics:
a. Virgin birth. b. divinity. c. miracles. e. Vicarious death
2. They deny the core of the gospel - the death buriel & resurrection
( 1 Cor. 15: 1-4 ).
a. They admit he died - but not for our sins.
b. Admit his buriel - deny the resurrection.
3. Such were common in Paul's day.
4. Some Christians denied the resurrection( 2 Tim. 2:16-18; 1Cor. 15:12 ).
C. HOW DO THESE PEOPLE GET IN THE PULPIT?
D. WHO ARE WE THAT WE SHOULD LIMIT HIS POWER?( Rom. 11:33-35 ).
E. GOD'S POWER WORKS IN US( Eph. 3:20; Phil. 2:13; 4:13 ).
F. IT IS BY GOD'S POWER THAT WE ARE:
l. Saved from our sins( Rom. l:l6 ).
2. To be raised from the grave( 2 Cor. 4:14 ).
3. To be saved in heaven at last( 1 Pet. 1:3-5 ).
G. BUT WHAT IF THE SADDUCEES WERE RIGHT( l Cor. 15:12-19 ).
A. MANY MODERN DAY SADDUCEES
B. ACCEPT HIS SALVATION TODAY
1. Examine that which is able to save( Jas. 1:21 ).
2. Trust the demonstrated power of God!