A. A KINGDOM PARABLE - IMPORTANCE OF BEING IN THE KINGDOM.
B. WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO US( Matt. 6:33 ).
A. THE IDENTITY OF THE PEARL.
1. The world's concept of precious things.
a. Financial security - The rich life( Luke 12:15; 1 Tim. 6:7 ).
b. Pleasures( Gal. 5:19- 21 ).
c. Wisdom and Education( 1 Cor. 1:22-25 ).
d. Prestige and prominence( Matt. 6:1 ).
e. Health... good family life, etc.
2. These things can be had, but they must not be most important.
3. Our relation to God most important( Mark 8:35- 36 ).
B. THE VALUE OF THE PEARL.
1. Peace of mind( Phil. 4:6-7 ).
2. True sustenance( Isa. 55:1; John 6:35 ).
3. Eternal life( 1 John 2:25 ).
A. HE WAS DESIROUS OF BETTER THINGS.
1. One must be dissatisfied to desire better( Phil. 3:13 ).
2. Our faith is one of desire( John 7:17; Rev. 22:17 ).
B. HE WAS ABLE TO DISCERN VALUES.
1. He was able to tell the merely good from the best.
2. Some cannot discriminate( John 12:42-43 ). Some can( John 3:1 ).
3. What was the difference( Acts 17:11; Prov. 23:23 ).
C. HE WAS DETERMINED TO OBTAIN.
1. He had his priorities - he knew the cost( Luke 13:24 ).
2. He allowed no distractions( Heb. 12:1-2 ). "Focused."
3. He put out - worked at his goal!( 1 Cor. 15:58 ).
A. CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PURCHASE.
1. Immediate( Isa. 55:6; 2 Cor. 6:2 ).
2. Paid gladly( Rom. 8:18 ).
3. Costly - all he had.
B. SO WILL IT BE FOR US.
1. Not in terms of dollars and cents, but in terms of sacrifice and self-denial
( Rom. 12:1 ).
2. Peter's lament( Matt. 19:27 ).
C. THE GREATEST TREASURE OF ALL - THE KINGDOM( Matt. 6:33 ).
A. COULD BE A ONCE IN A LIFETIME DEAL( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).
B. YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN!( John 3:3-5 ).