A. THERE ARE TWO STANDARDS OF GREATNESS.
1. The world's: wealth, power, education, social standing, athleticism, etc.
2. The Lord's standard is humility.
B. FEW CAN BE GREAT BY THE WORLD'S STANDARD. ALL CAN BE
GREAT BY THE LORD'S.
A. PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT ATTITUDES TOWARD SIN.
1. Some say they live above sin( Luke 18:9-12 ).
2. Some regard sin lightly, not impressed.
a. They don't fear God( Heb. 10:31; Matt. 10:28 ).
b. It is no big deal( Isa. 5:18-20 ).
3. Some are even proud of their sin, it is the norm for them( Phil. 3:18-19 ).
4. Some allow sin to dominate their lives( Rom. 6:12; 1 Cor. 6:9-11 ).
B. SIN DOES NOT MAKE US GREAT, BUT THE RIGHT ATTITUDE WILL.
1. We must realize our sin( Rom. 3:23; Psa. 51:1-4 ).
2. The consequence( Rom. 6:23; Isa. 59:1-2 ).
3. Godly sorrow( Psa. 51:16-17; 2 Cor. 7:10 ).
4. Shame must not cause us to deny or conceal. The Proud heart does that.
5. Godly sorrow works repentance( 2 Cor. 7:10; Acts 8:22 ).
6. Repentance works joy.
A. THE WORLD HAS IT BACKWARDS( Matt. 20:25 ). SERVE ME!
B. A TREND IN THE CHURCH TOWARDS BIGNESS AND DISPARAGEMENT
OF LITTLE THINGS.
1. We look for the big church, the famous meeting preacher, that can by our
association with them make us feel bigger than we are.
2. People want to be associated with the big church also because of the service
that can be rendered to them.
C. HUMILITY WIPES OUT SELFISHNESS.
1. To properly love someone places them above us( Phil. 2:3-4 ).
2. Jesus as our example( Matt. 20:26-28 ).
3. We will seek out places and opportunities where we can serve and grow.
4. "Ask not what your country can do for you..."
A. THESE WARNINGS FROM PAUL( Rom. 12:3 ).
B. 2 Cor. 10:12. THOSE WHO MEASURE THEMSELVES BY OTHERS USE
THE WRONG STANDARD.
C. THE HUMBLE MAN IS NEVER SATISFIED WITH SELF( Phil. 3:13-14 ).
1. He does not rest on his laurels.
2. He knows there is much more for him to do.
D. HE IS CONSCIOUS OF THE NEED FOR CAUTION( 1 Cor. 10:12 ).
E. HE KNOWS HE NEEDS HELP FROM GOD( 1 Cor. 3:18-20; 1 Pet. 5:5-6 ).
A. WE NEED TO SEE OURSELVES IN A TRUE LIGHT.
B. OUR DESIRE SHOULD BE TO BE GREAT BEFORE GOD, NOT MEN.