A. WAS THE CENTURION A GENTLE?
1. “A centurion; he was a supplicant, a Gentile, a Roman, an officer of the army; probably
commander-in-chief of that part of the Roman army which was quartered at Capernaum, and
kept garrison there.” (Matthew Henry)
2. Matt 8:10 “Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.”
B. VALUABLE LESSONS FOUND IN THIS SHORT PASSAGE.
A. PETER TEACHES US TO BE TENDERHEARTED (1 Pet. 8-9).
B. MUST BE TRANSLATED INTO ACTION (1 John 3:16-18).
A. WE DARE NOT TRUST OUR OWN STRENGTH, WISDOM (1 Cor. 10:12; Prov. 16:25).
B. WE RELY ON HIM (Rom. 10:13; James 4:10).
C. A QUALITY LACKING AMONG THOSE WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER (vs. 10).
D. Matthew 18:1-4. AS LITTLE CHILDREN.
A. THE CENTURION SPEAKS AND THOSE UNDER HIM MOVE TO ACTION.
B. JESUS IS LORD (Acts 2:36).
C. INVOLVES AUTHORITY (Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:20-23)
D. HIS AUTHORITY IS ABSOLUTE (Col. 3:17; 1 Pet. 4:10-11).
E. THE NATURE OF HIS AUTHORITY IS LIMITING (2 John 9).
A. THE GENTILES HAVE ACCESS TO GOD (Acts 10:34-35).
B. IN OLD TESTAMENT TIMES:
1. Gentiles - A law unto themselves (Rom. 2:14-15).
a. ignorant, no written code.
b. conscience accusing and excusing them. ignorance OVERLOOKED.
2. Jews - Ignorance among the Jews their destruction (Hos. 4:6).
C. IN NEW TESTAMENT TIMES:
1. Ignorance no longer overlooked (Acts 17:30).
a. Gospel proclaimed to all (Mark 16:15-16; Col. 1:6, 23).
b. What must they do (Acts 17:30) REPENT!! Why? (vs. 31).
2. Jews cut off. Why? UNBELIEF! (Rom. 11:17-22). What about the Gentile?
A. THE NEED FOR FAITHFULNESS.
B. THE GOSPEL IS FOR YOU.