A. TRAGEDY OF DIVORCE è BROKEN HOMES.
1. Divorce is common, for any cause. Marriage is dishonored.
2. Attitudes reflected in living together, free love, homosexuality & rejection of marriage.
B. GOD’S PLAN è 1 MAN + 1 WOMAN FOR LIFE!
1. Problems in the church in spite of what God says.
a. Permission to marry where God has not authorized.
b. Left to the individual to decide – In spite of plain Bible teaching.
a. Lack of teaching from the pulpit è man pleasers (Gal. 1:10; Acts 20:27 ).
b. Ungodly influences in the church.
i. Bible disregarded.
ii. Weak in the faith, treasures on the earth ( Matt. 16:26 ).
iii. “The church is absorbing its environment.” – HHouchen
C. I DON’T CLAIM ALL THE ANSWERS, BUT THE BIBLE IS PLAIN.
A. IT IS DIVINE ( Gen. 2:18-22 ).
1. “From the Beginning” ( Matt. 19:4-6 ).
2. “The Two” – Monogamous. One flesh ( Gen. 2:24 ).
B. IT IS HONORABLE ( Heb. 13:4 ).
C. IT IS PERMANENT ( Matt. 19:6 )
1. Joined by God.
2. Only death or putting away for fornication is to end it ( Rom. 7:2 ).
D. IT IS A UNION è THE TWO BECOME ONE FLESH. (a figure of speech)
1. Paul describes family relationships ( Eph. 5:21 – 6:4).
2. For this cause will a man leave his parents and cleave to his wife!
E. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE?
1. Companionship ( Gen. 2:18 ).
2. Help ( Gen. 2:18 ). An assistant who is fit. A “help meet” ... ( 1 Cor. 11:8-12 ).
3. Sexual fulfillment ( 1 Cor. 7:8-9 ).
a. Celibacy is not to be the norm.
b. Render what is due ( 1 Cor. 7:3 ).
c. In marriage, sex is good. Out of marriage – disgusting and sinful ( Heb. 13:4 ).
4. Procreation ( Gen. 1:27-28; Titus 2:4-5 ).
5. Preventative ( 1 Cor. 7:2, 9 ).
WE WILL NOT DISCUSS PERSONALITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THESE VIEWS,
BUT WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
A. THE ALIEN IS NOT AMENABLE TO GOD’S LAW ON MDR.
1. Matt. 19:9. Claimed it doesn’t apply to aliens.
2. The rule of Jesus is UNIVERSAL! ( Eph. 1:20-23; Matt. 28:18 ).All are amenable.
a. Matt. 5:32. “Everyone!” NO Acceptions!
b. Matt. 19:9. “Whosoever!” NO Acceptions! (see vs. 10-12 ).
3. “From the beginning of creation” ( Mark 10:6 ).
a. Matt. 19:3. Question of the Pharisees.
b. vs. 4-6. The answer was NO. An appeal to Genesis. Older than Law of Moses.
4. Gen. 20:6. Abimelech was a heathen. But he knew it was wrong to have Sarah.
Because he was honest, God kept him from Sin.
5. 1 Cor. 6:9-11. What made them adulterers if the weren’t amenable?
6. Acts 17:30-31. On what basis were these alien gentiles urged to repent?
7. John 12:48. Can the alien reject? What judges him if he does?
B. THE PUT AWAY GUILTY PARTY CAN REMARRY.
1. Human Reasoning says: “Fornication severs the Marriage. WRONG PREMISE!
2. What severs the marriage? (Matt. 19:9) Putting away for fornication severs marriage.
a. This position argues if she is put away for fornication, both may remarry.
b. It is also argued that if she is put away for some other
cause, she may not remarry.
c. So the woman who runs around on her husband is free, but the faithful
wife, abandoned by her husband, may not.
d. If you see divorce coming, it is to your advantage to fornicate. A Premium is put
on sin. So, fornicate, refuse to reconcile, get what you want.
4. The issue? Not, “When is the bond broken?”But, “Who has God authorized to remarry?
5. Matt. 19:9. Only the partner who divorces his spouse for fornication can remarry.
6. Fornication must be the motive for divorce, therefore, it must precede the divorce.
C. A BELIEVER CAN REMARRY IF DESERTED BY AN UNBELIEVING SPOUSE.
1. 1 Cor. 7:15. The claim è “Not under bondage” = The bond is broken.
2. Matt. 19:9 – the only exception. Was Paul creating another?
a. John 3:5. One exception to not entering the kingdom.
b. Is there another? Can we enter another way?
3. "Bondage," douloo, "Make a slave of, reduce to bondage, subject to"
( Thayer, p. 158 ). Not the same term as "bound/bond" of Romans 7. Does not
permit remarriage, or teach the bond( deo ) is broken, but that there is not bondage
( douloo )...The believer is not in bondage to the departed unbeliever, but is bound.
4. The believer is not under bondage to the unbeliever, but to Christ. He must hold to
Jesus, even if it costs him, his spouse ( Luke 18:28 ). [not permission to divorce]
A. THOSE NEVER MARRIED.
B. THOSE WHOSE SPOUSES HAVE DIED.
C. THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN WRONGED BY A FORNICATING SPOUSE,
AND PUT THEM AWAY ON ACCOUNT OF IT.