A. HOW DO WE VIEW GOD? HAVE WE MADE GOD IN OUR IMAGE?
B. CHRISTIANS BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THEM.
1. They subject themselves to what HE thinks.
2. His thoughts are expressed in the Bible.
3. No room for opinion where God has expressed himself.
C. GOD HAS EXPRESSED HIMSELF CLEARLY & CONCISELY IN THE BIBLE.
1. vs. 6. In essence, Jesus says divorce is forbidden.
2. God hates divorce.( Mat. 2:16).
D. A QUESTION REMAINS – IF DIVORCE OCCURS, WHO CAN REMARRY?
A. GOD’S INTENTION FOR MARRIAGE – ONE FLESH.
1. Gen. 2:18; Eph. 5:31-32. “Leave … Cleave.”
2. No permission given (1 Cor. 7:8-10).
B. REMARRIAGE IS FORBIDDEN.
1. Matt. 5:32; Mark 10:11-12.
2. Rom. 7:1-3. Not until he’s dead.
3. 1 Cor. 7:10-11. Remain unmarried or be reconciled..
A. Mat. 5:31-32. WHAT DOES IT SAY?
1. Under the Old Law( Deut. 24:1-3 ), whoever would put away his wife was to
"legally" divorce her. "Writing of divorce"
2. "But I say unto you..." New law is different.
3. If a man puts away his wife and she has not committed fornication, he "makes" her
an adulteress. How? Temptation.
4. Whoever marries a put away person commits adultery.
5. What if she was put away for fornication? She and her new partner are
adulterers by definition.
B. Mat. 19:9, 12. WHAT DOES THIS PASSAGE SAY?
1. Almost the same, but with some additional points.
2. In a divorce where fornication was not the motive, if one divorces and marries
another they commit adultery.
3. When one divorces because his mate committed fornication, he may remarry
without committing adultery.
4. Whoever marries the put away one commits adultery with her.
5. SOME OBSERVATIONS:
a. "except for fornication" - "of that on which a state of being, an action, or a
result is based"( A&G p. 287 ).
b. "committeth adultery" - moicaotai...mai, 3rd person, sing., present indicative
( grammar, par. 18, 110, 112 ). This is the tense of continuous action, indicating
that as long as one is joined in an adulterous marriage, adultery is a continuing thing,
not an initial act!
C. vs. 12. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT VERSES FOR PEOPLE TO
ACCEPT, EVEN THOUGH THE IMPLICATIONS ARE PLAIN. SIMPLY STATED,
SOME MUST REMAIN CELIBATE IN ORDER TO GO TO HEAVEN. THIS IS
GIVEN IN THE CONTEXT OF DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE. THAT IS WHERE IT
MUST BE APPLIED.
A. BE CAREFUL IN CHOOSING A MATE? (1 Cor. 6:14)
1. Much joy in a good marriage (1 Pet. 3:7).
2. Misery fills a bad one (Prov 12:4; Prov 27:15-16).
B. SERVING GOD MUST COME FIRST (Matt. 6:33; Luke 14:26).
1. We must obey Jesus in all things, his will comes first (Luke 6:46).
2. Who is the boss at your house (1 Pet. 3:15).
3. What was his prime instruction concerning our spouses and children (Eph. 5:21).
A. WHAT JESUS COMMANDS AS A PART OF THE MARRIAGE LAW APPLIES TO ALL.
B. ARE YOU READY TO OBEY?