A. SAME AS Matt. 22:34-40. APPEARS AS HONEST QUESTION HERE.
B. IN THE LESSON WE WANT TO NOTE:
1. The scribe's honest question. 3. The scribe's approving comment.
2. Jesus' answer. 4. The commendation of Jesus.
A. A WORTHY AND NOBLE QUESTION.
1. Showed concern for God's supreme will & desire to know its basis.
2. Jesus tells him upon what the law is based( Matt. 22:40 ).
B. THE SCRIBE KNEW JESUS HAD THE ANSWER. HIGH OPINION OF JESUS.
A. NO HESITATION IN HIS ANSWER - SCRIBE'S OPINION JUSTIFIED.
B. IN JESUS' RESPONSE SEVERAL THINGS ARE APPARENT:
1. Love is represented as the sum of Divine will ( 1 Cor. 13:1-3 ).
a. God's love demonstrated thru Jesus( 1 John 4:8-10 ).
b. Natural that love be the basis of law( John 13:34-35 ).
2. God is the supreme object of our love( Mark 12:30 ).
3. Love to man follows closely( vs. 31; 1 John 4:20 ).
4. Love must be displayed in practical forms( 1 John 5:2-3; Rom. 13:8 ).
A. LIKE OTHERS, THIS MAN GAVE IN QUITE A BIT TO COMMEND JESUS.
B. NOT THE ONLY ONE SO IMPRESSED( John 3:1-2; 7:46 ).
C. NOT ONLY NOT FAR FROM THE KINGDOM, BUT ALSO FROM BEING
THROWN OUT OF THE SYNAGOGUE.
A. SCRIBE DIFFERENT FROM PHARISEES, SADDUCEES, PUBLICANS AND
SINNERS WHO WERE STILL FAR FROM THE KINGDOM.
B. WHAT MADE THIS MAN SO NEAR THE KINGDOM?
1. Intellectual sincerity.
a. His desire for the truth( 2 Thess. 2:10 ).
b. He had an open mind( Acts 17:11 ).
c. This is necessary( John 7:17 ).
2. His moral integrity.
a. Honest question. Not captious, no hidden purpose.
b. Honesty isn't enough. Paul always honest( Acts 7:58; 23:1; 26:9 ).
C. "NOT FAR FROM THE KINGDOM" NOT EQUAL TO "IN." STILL LOST.
1. Agrippa was not far either( Acts 26:28 ).
2. Possible to almost pay for a car, but have it repossessed because of a missed
3. There are some here maybe who are close. Counts only in horseshoes and
D. WHAT KEPT THE SCRIBE OUT OF THE KINGDOM?
WHAT KEEPS US OUT?
1. Cowardice( John 12:42-43 ).
2. The opinions of those close to us( Luke 14:26 ).
3. Self-reliance( Jer. 10:23; 1 Cor. 10:12 ).
4. Lack of urgency( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).