A. JESUS SHOWS POWER OVER SORROW AND DISEASE - A HEALER.
B. PARALLEL BETWEEN THIS HEALING AND SPIRITUAL HEALING.
A. HE WAS A HEALER OF PHYSICAL DISEASE( Luke 5:17; Mat. 14:14 ).
B. HE IS THE HEALER OF SPIRITUAL DISEASE - SIN.
1. This was his purpose( Luke 5:31-32 ).
2. He has the power to do so( 1 John 1:7; Heb. 7:25 ).
A. THE PALSIED MAN WAS HELPLESS - COULD NOT CURE HIMSELF.
B. WE CANNOT CURE OURSELVES OF SIN.
1. All have sinned( Rom. 3:23 ).
2. All are subject to the consequences( 6:23; Eph. 2:1, 12 ).
3. Only Jesus can heal( Acts 4:12 ).
A. LOOK AT THE MEN WHO BROUGHT THE SICK MAN TO JESUS.
1. They had faith in Jesus( Luke 5:20 ).
2. They had compassion upon the sick & helpless.
3. The worked to bring him to Jesus( vs. 19 ).
B. WE HAVE A PART TO PLAY - WE MUST BRING THE SICK.
1. We must have faith in Jesus ourselves( Phil. 4:13; 2 Cor. 4:13-14 ).
2. We must have sympathy for the lost( Mat.9:36-38; Rom.10:1 ).
3. Paul's love manifest this way( Rom. 10:13-15 ).
If we love them, we will teach them.
C. SPECIFICALLY, WHAT CAN I DO?
1. Set a good example( Matt. 5:16 ). "The best sermons..."
2. Demonstrate the high value of your belief thru visible commitment
( 2 Tim. 1:12; Heb. 10:25 ).
3. Be ready to teach or bring others to be taught( Rom. 10:15 ).
4. Be ready to give answer( 1 Pet. 3:15; 2 Tim. 2:15 ).
5. Pray for your effort, courage, wisdom, and success.
A. THE CURIOUS MULTITUDE, SCRIBES & PHARISEES - & THE DISCIPLES.
1. The multitude were there out of curiosity - wasted time and space.
2. The Jews were there to criticize - active opponents.
3. Disciples were in the crowd, too. Not helpful, but dormant.
B. DO WE HAVE SUCH IN THE CHURCH TODAY? YES!
1. Some in the church are only curious, non-active( James 1:22 ).
Christianity is not a spectator sport!
2. We have murmuring critics( 1 Cor. 10:10; Phil. 2:14-15 ).
3. False teachers( 2 Pet. 2:2 ), and sin( 1 Pet. 15-16 ).
4. Are we merely inattentive to those who desire to learn?
C. Mat. 18:6-7. AM I STANDING IN THE DOOR?
A. WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THIS HEALING?
1. Specific Instance - Power over sin demonstrated.
2. John's comments( John 20:30-31 ).
B. DO YOU BELIEVE?