A. A RELIGION THAT COSTS NOTHING IS NOT WHAT GOD GIVES US.
1. God’s promises are obtained through sacrifice and struggle (Luke 13:24).
2. God gave his Son, Jesus gave his all – what do they want? (2 Cor. 8:5).
B. THE CHALLENGE OF THE LORD IN OUR TEXT:
1. Great multitudes followed him for various reasons.
a. Some seeking loaves and fishes.
b. Some out of curiosity.
c. A few – to earnestly gain entrance to the kingdom.
2. Jesus challenged them, and by doing so, weeded many out.
a. Hate father, mother, etc (Luke 14:26 – Matt. 10:37).
b. Bear ones cross (Luke 14:27; 9:23 – Gal. 2:20).
c. Forsake all (Luke 14:33).
C. WE ARE THEN URGED TO COUNT THE COST (vs. 28-30).
A. OUR FAITH IS NOT A SPECTATOR SPORT (James 1:22; 2:14, 17, 24).
B. WE LET GOD DIRECT US IN OUR LIVES (Matt. 7:21-27).
C. A PROBLEM IN ISRAEL OF OLD (Mal. 1:6-13).
D. WE HAVE CHOICES TO MAKE (1 John 2:15).
E. GOD DESIRES THAT WE BE NOT LAZY OR SLOTHFUL (Heb. 5:11-12).
A. IN ANY UNDERTAKING, THERE ARE THREE THINGS TO CONSIDER.
1. What is the reward for success?
2. What is the cost necessary to be successful?
3. What assurance of success do we have?
B. THIS IS TRUE IN EVERY WALK OF LIFE – business, marriage, etc.
1. Certainly in becoming a Christian (Luke 14:23; Matt. 13:44-46).
2. And living a Christian’s life (Matt. 6:22-24, 33).
1. Peter (Matt. 19:27).
2. Levi (Luke 5:27).
3. David (2 Sam. 24:21-24).
B. THE COMPARISON OF THE RICH YOUNG RULER AND PAUL
(Matt. 19:16-22; Phil. 3:3-8).
C. JESUS CHALLENGES YOU! (Luke 9:23-25).
A. HAVE YOU COUNTED THE COST OF BECOMING A CHRISTIAN?
B. HAVE YOU COUNTED THE COST OF NOT BECOMING A CHRISTIAN?