A. WE HAVE EXAMINED MUCH EVIDENCE CONCERNING JESUS.
B. WE WANT TO EXAMINE THE TESTIMONY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. John 14:16-18. ANOTHER COMFORTER, I COME UNTO YOU.
1. He is an aid, a helper, one upon whom the Christian may lean for comfort.
2. Christ abides with us through the Holy Spirit.
3. His is with us forever.
B. John 14:26. TEACH AND BRING TO REMEMBRANCE ALL THINGS.
C. John 16:13. GUIDE THEM INTO ALL TRUTH.
D. John 15:26-27. BEAR WITNESS OF THE CHRIST.
E. John 16:8. CONVICT; "to convince someone of something, to point something
out" ( Vine ).
1. Sin, Righteousness, Judgment to come.
2. This work began on Pentecost.
F. John 16:13-15. GUIDE INTO ALL TRUTH, DECLARE THAT WHICH IS TO
COME, HE SHALL TAKE OF CHRIST'S AND DECLARE IT.
A. Eph. 3:3-5. THE MYSTERY REVEALED.
1. Not made known in other generations.
2. Now revealed to the apostles and prophets in the Spirit.
B. 1 Cor. 2:6-13.
1. God's wisdom in a mystery, foreordained before the worlds( vs. 7 ).
2. The mystery not understood by the world( vs. 6, 8 ).
3. Prophets who prophesied didn't understand( 1 Pet. 1:10-12 ).
4. Revealed to apostles through the Spirit( vs. 10; Eph. 3:5 ).
5. Inspiration uses the Spirit's words, not man's( vs. 13 ). Verbal Inspiration.
C. PAUL WROTE WHAT WAS REVEALED AND WHEN WE READ WE CAN
UNDERSTAND( Eph. 3:3-4 ).
D. THROUGH THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE SCRIPTURES, WE
HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THAT PERTAINS TO LIFE AND GODLINESS
( 2 Pet. 1:3; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
E. NO NEW REVELATION IS NEEDED OR PROMISED( Jude 3 ).
1. Once for all delivered.
2. "Once for all"( Heb. 7:26-27; 10:10-12 ).
F. NEW REVELATION IS FORBIDDEN( 2 John 9; 1 John 4:1, 6; Gal. 1:6-9 ).
1. What is the Gospel? Some say that you cannot change the gospel, but that
doesn't mean you can't change teachings (doctrines) or traditions. What about
a. It is to be obeyed( 2 Thess. 1:8 ).
Commands implied( Mark 16:15-16 ).
b. Equated with traditions( 2 Thess. 2:14-15 ).
c. Power of Salvation( Rom. 1:16; James 1:21 ).
d. Word and Law( James 1:21-25 ).
e. NO different gospel( Gal. 1:6-9 ) or doctrine( 1 Tim. 1:3 ) or
traditions( 2 Thess. 3:6 ).
2. Some facts about the gospel.
a. Rom. 2:13, 16. The standard of judgment.
b. 2 Cor. 9:13. Obedience and gospel connected again.
c. Gal. 2:14. Peter disobeyed in dissimulating.
d. Phil. 1:27. Live worthily of the gospel( Eph. 4:1 ).
e. Col. 1:5-6. Word of truth of the gospel, bearing fruit( 1 Pet. 1:22 ).
f. 1 Tim. 1:8-11. Law, doctrine emanate from the gospel.
g. 2 Tim. 2:8-9. Word and gospel equated.
3. The church's traditions cannot be superior( Eph. 1:22-23 ).
4. No man can change the teachings( Col. 2:8; 1 Cor. 4:6; Matt. 15:13-14 ).
A. THE TESTIMONY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HIS WORK ARE
CONTAINED IN THE BIBLE.
B. THE HOLY SPIRIT PROVIDES AMPLE EVIDENCE IN THE GOSPEL
CONCERNING THE NATURE AND IDENTITY OF CHRIST..
C. IN THE GOSPEL HE REVEALS ALSO THE WILL OF CHRIST TO US.