A. WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE HOLY SPIRIT’S NATURE.
1. To avoid error that raises false hopes.
2. To have fellowship with him.
B. ARE WE DEVELOPING MYSTICISM AND SUPERSTITIONS AROUND THE
A. NOT AN “IT,” BUT “HE.”
1. Not a vague impersonal force.
2. Nor merely the mind, temper or disposition of God.
3. Not the Bible, N.T., or the Word of God ( John 1:1-3, 14-18 ).
B. SPOKEN OF BY CHRIST AS A PERSON.
1. Jesus often speaks of God as his father and prays to him.
2. Speaks of the Spirit and his relation to him ( John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13-14 ).
a. 9 times the word “he” refers to the Holy Spirit.
b. Can only be used of a person.
A. HAS A MIND ( Rom. 8:27 ).
1. Inspired the New Testament ( Eph. 3:3-5 ).
2. Has the power to know and search out knowledge ( 1 Cor. 2:10-12 ).
B. HE HAS VOLITION - POWER TO CHOOSE & DECIDE.
1. Paul's guide( Acts 16:6-10 ).
2. 1 Cor. 12:11. Who has what gift?
3. Acts 21:11-14.
C. POWER TO LOVE.( Rom. 15:30 ).
D. INDIVIDUALITY( John 16:7-15 ).HAS CHARACTERISTICS OF GOD.
1. Life( Job 33:4 ).
2. Light( 1 Cor. 2:9-12 ).
3. Love( Rom. 5:3-5; 8:26f. ).
E. INFLUENCE( Luke 24:46-49 ).
1. Acts 6:3. He doesn't control in the sense that
2. 2 Cor. 13:14. choice is taken away. Influence is not
3. Eph. 5:18. mystical force or power. It is not
4. Gal. 5:25. intuitive. It is clear.
A. 1 Tim. 4:1. HE SPEAKS.
B. John 15:26. BEARS WITNESS.
C. Rom. 8:26-27. MAKES INTERCESSION
D. 1 Cor. 2:10-11. SEARCHES.
E. Acts 16:6. FORBIDS.
F. Eph. 4:30. SORROWS.
A. INVOLVED IN CREATION( Gen. 1:2, 26 ).
B. JOINS WITH HIM IN OUR SALVATION( Mat. 28:19-20 ).
C. KNOWS GOD'S MIND( 1 Cor. 2:11 ).
A. GOD AND JESUS GIVEN NAMES THAT DESCRIBE.
1. God is called Jehovah, the Father, the Lord, the Ancient of Days, etc.
2. Jesus is called by over 200 names.
B. HOLY SPIRIT GIVEN NAMES:
1. Spirit of God, the Lord, Truth, of Jehovah.
2. Comforter or Paraclete – Advocate ( John 14:26 ).
3. Holy Ghost not used in late trans. - Misleading today.
A. THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS WORKED HARD FOR YOUR SALVATION.
B. DON’T QUENCH THE SPIRIT BY REJECTING OR BEING UNFAITFUL.