A. THE SECRET TO ABUNDANT LIFE IS BEARING FRUIT.
B. THE SECRET TO BEARING FRUIT IS ABIDING IN JESUS( John 15:5 ).
C. BUT WHAT IS THE SECRET OF ABIDING IN JESUS?
A. THE SECRET OF ABIDING IS OBEYING THE COMMANDS OF JESUS.
1. By keeping His commands we abide in His love( John 15:10a ).
2. By keeping His commands we will be His friends( John 15:14 ).
3. And restated by His beloved disciple, John( 1 John 3:24a ).
B. THE PRINCIPLE OF ABIDING THROUGH OBEYING.
1. Governed Jesus' relationship with His Father while on earth( John 15:10b ).
2. Jesus' desire to keep His Father's Will documented( John 4:34; 5:30; 6:38 ).
3. We abide in Christ by keeping His commandments( 1 John 2:3-6 ).
4. Otherwise we prove ourselves to be liars!
A. AS STRESSED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT...
1. With the nation of Israel( Deut. 10:12, 13; Isa 1:18-20 ).
2. With the example of King Saul( 1 Sam. 15:22-23 ).
3. As concluded by Solomon in his search for meaning( Ecc. 12:13 ).
B. AS STRESSED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
1. By Jesus, on several occasions.
a. During the sermon on the mount( Matt. 7:21-23, 24-27; Luke 6:46 ).
b. In describing His true family( Mark 3:31-35 ).
c. In giving the "Great Commission"( Matt. 28:18-20 ).
2. By the apostles( Acts 10:34, 35, 48; 17:30; Rom. 6:17-18 ).
A. OBEDIENCE IS ESSENTIAL TO PLEASING GOD( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
B. HAVE OBEYED THE COMMANDS OF JESUS?( 1 John 5:3 ).
C. TO THOSE WHO OBEY GOD GIVES THIS PROMISE( Rev. 22:14 ).
The secret to living is bearing fruit;
The secret to bearing fruit is abiding;
The secret to abiding is obeying...
Have you obeyed Jesus?