A. WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR THE "GOOD LIFE."
1. The American dream.
2. Material things in abundance.
B. JESUS IS THE WAY TO THE GOOD LIFE
A. MOST THINK IN TERMS OF MATERIAL PROSPERITY, PLEASURE AND
B. THE MORE THOUGHTFUL THINK IN TERMS OF HAPPINESS AND PEACE.
1. Can material prosperity, pleasure and popularity will bring us these things?
2. Sometimes the most wealthy, high-living, famous people are extremely
unhappy and lacking inner peace.
C. JESUS TEACHES THERE IS MORE TO HAPPINESS AND PEACE THAN
MATERIAL POSSESSIONS( Luke 12:15 ).
D. JESUS OFFERS
1. Peace which the things of this world can't give( John 14:27 ).
2. Joy which is complete and full( John 15:11 ).
E. WHAT THE WORLD CAN'T GIVE, JESUS CAN. HOW DOES HE DO IT?
A. FIRST BY IDENTIFYING AND ROOTING OUT THE REAL PROBLEM.
1. What is the cause of so much unhappiness in this world? What deprives so
many of inner peace?
a. Is it not things like immorality, thefts, murder? Is it not things like
coveting, deceit, envy and pride?
b. Such things destroy families, friendships, and property.
c. What then is the cause of these things?
2. Jesus declared that the source of all these things to be the sinful hearts of
men( Mark 7:21-23; James 4:1-2 ).
B. WHAT HAS JESUS DONE TO PROVIDE A SOLUTION?
1. Jesus has acted to remove sin( 1 Pet. 2:21-24 ).
2. Secondly, Jesus teaches us to seek new goals in life( Matt. 6:19-20 ).
a. But how does one lay up treasure in heaven? By living for Jesus, even
under the most adverse conditions( Luke 6:22-23 ).
b. Living for Jesus means to follow His teachings( Luke 6:35 ).
c. We can have great happiness knowing our reward is reserved for us in
heaven!( 1 Pet. 1:3-5 ).
3. Jesus leads the way to true happiness by giving us what we do not expect!
a. Material needs taken care of( Matt 6:31-33; 7:7-11; 10:29-31 ).
b. Pure joy and peace( Phil. 4:4-7, 11-13; 1 Pet. 1:8 ).
c. And what about fame or popularity?
i. If we seek earthly fame( Gal. 1:10; Matt. 6:1-2 ).
ii. What does Jesus offer?( Col. 3:4; 2 Thess. 2:14 ).
iii. Can you imagine Jesus saying he knows you?( Matt. 10:32 ).
4. How much better could life get?!
A. THE THINGS OF THIS WORLD CANNOT SATISFY( Ecc. 5:10 ).
B. THE GOALS JESUS PLACES BEFORE CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED AND DO
1. ALL can store up treasure in heaven and live for Jesus.
2. The joy of living for Jesus is evident in the lives of those who do.
3. Outwardly they may be suffering persecution, social ostracism, or physical
illnesses; but even then they still have that joy that is full, that peace which is
unspeakable( 2 Cor. 4:16-18 ).
C. IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY AND AT PEACE, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A
BETTER LIFE, WHY NOT LET JESUS BE "THE WAY" FOR YOU? ( John 10:10 ).