A. JESUS IS THE WAY, THE ONLY WAY TO SPIRITUAL BLESSING.
1. How can we be sure that we have truly found Jesus and are his disciples ( John 8:31 ).
2. Matt. 24:5, 24. Many false Christs and false ideas of Christ.
B. THE ONLY TRUSTWORTHY PORTRAIT OF JESUS IS IN THE BIBLE.
A. LOOKING BACK, THE OLD TESTAMENT GIVES A WONDERFUL AND
COMPLETE PICTURE OF JESUS.
1. Jesus' application of prophecy( Luke 24:27, 44-47 ).
2. Peter and Paul( Acts 3:18, 24; 2 Tim. 3:14-15; 1 Pet. 1:10-12 ).
B. SOME EXAMPLES:
1. The Birth of Jesus( Isa. 7:14 ).
2. The Suffering of Jesus( Isa. 53:4-6 )
3. The Sovereignty of Jesus( Isa. 9:6-7 ).
4. Estimated 400 prophecies concerning Jesus.
C. PURPOSE IN THE LAW AND PROPHETS( Gal. 3:24-25 ).
A. 4 BOOKS FROM 4 PERSPECTIVES -A COMPLETE RECORD.
1. MATTHEW emphasizes the "kingdom teachings" of Jesus.
2. MARK features the "miracles" of Jesus, showing His power
3. LUKE underscores the "humanity" of Jesus .
4. JOHN stresses the "divinity" of Jesus.
5. They all have the same purpose: TO CREATE FAITH( John 20:30-31 )
B. THEY REVEAL WHAT JESUS ACTUALLY TAUGHT, AS OPPOSED TO
1. Accepted by most that all die and go to heaven( Matt. 7:13-14 )
2. Mere religious activity is not the standard( Matt. 7:21-23 ). The will of God
is expressed by Jesus.
3. Following Jesus involves sacrifice in addition to "faith"( Luke 9:23-25 ).
4. Matt. 28:18-20. The true Jesus left His apostles with the charge to teach
disciples to "observe ALL things." Many people's concept is that He allows a
sort of "multiple choice" when it comes to obeying His commandments!
C. THE GOSPELS GIVE A TRUE PICTURE OF JESUS AND HIS TEACHINGS.
A. THE GOSPELS ARE ALL TRUE, BUT NOT ALL THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS
1. Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to tell them more( John 16:12-14 ).
2. In the book of Acts Jesus' promise is fulfilled( Acts 2:4 ).
B. AS THE APOSTLES SPOKE AND WROTE THEY WERE GUIDED BY THE
HOLY SPIRIT( 1 Cor. 2:12-14; 1 Pet. 1:12 ).
1. The words and writings of the apostles (i.e., the epistles) were to be received
as if from Jesus Himself!( 1 Cor. 14:37; 1 Thess. 2:13 ).
2. To reject the apostles is to reject Jesus( Luke 10:16 ).
C. THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDED THEM TO ALL TRUTH( John 14:26; 16:13 ).
1. We have ALL that is needed to live godly lives( 2 Peter 1:3 ).
2. The Scriptures provide for us completely( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
3. All has been delivered( Jude 3 ).
4. Attempts to improve useless and wrong( Gal. 1:8-9 ).
D. ALL WE NEED TO KNOW TO FOLLOW JESUS AS THE WAY IS IN THE
INSPIRED SCRIPTURES. WE MUST LEARN IT AND LIVE IT!
A. ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE IS USELESS UNLESS WE ACT ON IT.
1. John 8:31-32. Jesus here stresses the need for doing what he says.
2. Merely "believing on him" did not make these Jews true disciples of Jesus!
B. OBEDIENCE A GENUINE EXPRESSION OF LOVE( John 14:21 ).
C. OBEDIENCE NECESSARY FOR FELLOWSHIP( John 14:23; 1 John 2:3-5 ).
1. Obedience to command to be baptized puts us in Jesus( Gal 3:26-27 ).
2. In Jesus all things are new( 2 Cor. 5:17 ).
A. IN JESUS WE FIND THE WAY TO A BETTER LIFE, FORGIVENESS FOR
OUR SINS, RECONCILIATION WITH GOD OUR FATHER, THE PRIVILEGE
OF BEING IN THE LORD'S CHURCH (and not some denomination begun and
propagated by men), THE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE
B. HAVE YOU FOUND JESUS, OR ARE YOU FOLLOWING AN IMITATION?
1. Do you observe all the things the apostles taught?( Matt. 28:19-20 ).
2. Those who have truly found Jesus are those who
a. Accept the authority He has in heaven and on earth.
b. Have been baptized (upon faith and repentance) as He commanded.
c. Are careful to observe ALL things that He commanded.
3. Such are the only ones who have the assurance:
Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
They are ones who have found Jesus!