A. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE JEWS HATED THEM. WHY?
B. WERE THEY RIGHT WITH GOD?
C. VITAL LESSONS TO BE LEARNED.
A. THE FALL OF THE NORTHERN KINGDOM( 2 Kings 17 ).
1. The foolish rebellion of Hoshea and Israel’s destruction( vs. 1-6 ).
2. They asked for it( vs. 7-23 – be selective in what you read. ).
B. STRANGERS IN THE LAND( vs. 24-26 ).
1. Where did they come from?( vs. 24 ).
2. “They feared not Jehovah( vs. 25 ) Lions!!!
3. They know not the law of the god of the land( vs. 26 ).
C. THE KING’S SOLUTION – BRING BACK ONE OF THEIR PRIESTS( vs. 27-28 ).
1. Whose priest was this? It was Jereboam’s, not God’s( ch. 15:28; 17:2 ).
2. What could the priests of Jereboam teach about God( John 4:20-22 ).
3. Did they fear God?( vs. 29, 33 41 ).
4. Did it make a difference?
D. THEY WANTED TO HELP REBUILD IN THE RESTORATION( Ezra 4:1-6 ).
1. vs. 3. Can’t we understand why Zerubbabel wouldn’t not let them take part.
2. Lasting enemies!!!
A. WE ARE TO BE UNIFIED( Eph. 4:1-3 ).
1. We are told to speak the same thing( 1 Cor. 1:10-13; Eph. 4:4-6 ).
2. Jesus prayed for unity( John 17:20-21 ) Why?
B. WE ARE TOLD WHAT THE BASIS FOR THAT UNITY IS TO BE.
1. Sound words( 1 Tim. 6:3-6 ).
2. Hold the pattern( 2 Tim. 1:13-14 ).
3. Error destroys unity( Rom. 16:17-18; 1 Cor. 4:6-7 ).
4. Error destroys souls( Gal. 1:6-9; 2 John 9).
5. 1 Tim 1:9-11; Titus 2:1. Sound Doctrine.
6. Where are we going to get sound doctrine( 2Thess.2:15; 2 Tim.2:2; 1 Tim.6:20 )?
7. It is the TRUTH that makes us free( John 8:31; 17:17 ).
C. “A LITTLE LEAVEN.”( Gal. 5:7-9; 2 Tim. 2:16-18; Acts 20:29-30 ).
1. The Scriptures are filled with such warnings( 2 Tim 4:3-4; 2 Cor 11:13-15;
Ephesians 4:14; Col 2:4; Col 2:8; Heb 13:9; 1 John 2:26 ).
2. Purge it out!!!!( Rom. 16:17-18; Eph. 5:11; 2 John 9-11 ).
( Application to error in the church – MDR, Institutionalism, Romans 14,
Evidences – Modernism, Old earth, evolution, etc., Worldliness, Calvinism, Lucado, etc. ).
A. Prov. 23:23.
B. McGARVEY’S QUOTE.
The following words were spoken by J. W. McGarvey to J. P. Sewell in 1902.
They are recorded in "Biographical Sketches of Restoration Preachers." )
"You are on the right road, and whatever you do, don’t let anybody persuade you that you can successfully combat error by fellowshipping it and going along with it. I have tried. I believed at the start that was the only way to do it. I’ve never held membership in a congregation that used instrumental music. I have, however, accepted invitations to preach without distinctions between churches that used it and churches that didn’t. I’ve gone along with their papers and magazines and things of that sort. During all these years I have taught the truth as the New Testament teaches it to every young preacher who has passed through the College of the Bible. Yet, I do not know of more than six of those men who are preaching truth today. It won’t work."
1. Uncertain signals( 1 Cor. 14:6-7 ).
2. Indecision( 1 Kings 18:21 ).
3. Led astray( Psa. 1:1-2 ).
C. WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
D. WHERE ARE WE?