A. THE EUNUCH: HONORABLE, DEVOTED, INQUISITIVE, LOST.
B. ACCESS TO SCRIPTURES A WONDERFUL PRIVILEGE ( Rev. 1:3 ).
C. READING IMPORTANT, VAIN WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING ( 1 Tim. 4:13 ).
A. BLESSING IN UNDERSTANDING.
1. Happiness ( Psa. 1:1-2 ).
2. Strength ( Prov. 24:5 - 1 Cor.10:13; Eph.6:16; Rom.10:17 ).
3. God's approval ( 2 Tim. 2:15 ).
B. DANGER IN MISUNDERSTANDING.
1. What if a pharmacist misunderstands a prescription?
2. More important to understand that which pertains to the soul ( 2 Pet. 3:15-17 ).
3. In view of the danger, the Bible demands close scrutiny.
A. GOD IN HIS MERCY MADE IT UNDERSTANDABLE.
1. God expects us to understand ( Mat. 15:10; Eph. 5:17 ).
2. Understood in the past. How? ( Eph. 3:3-4 ).
3. A reflection on God if not possible ( 1 Cor. 14:33 ).
B. THE BIBLE IS A UNIQUE BOOK WITH REGARD TO OUR UNDERSTANDING.
1. God has come down to our level in communicating with us.
2. God hasn't revealed all ( Deut.29:29; 1 Cor.15:51-52 ).
3. Some things are hard to understand ( 2 Pet.3:16; Heb.5:11 ).
4. Some passages are easy ( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38 ).
5. All we need is found in understandable truth
( 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3; 1 Cor. 2:16 ).
C. IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND DIFFERENTLY?
III. WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE?
A. TRUST IN IT AS GOD'S WORD.
1. Curiosity will not take one far.
2. Understanding what it is will aid in understanding what it says ( 1 Thess. 2:13 ).
3. Inspired, God's word, Truth ( 2 Pet.1:20-21; 1 Cor.2:12-13 ).
B. WE MUST HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE - OBJECTIVE.
1. Desire to know its teaching, not prove our point.
2. Must see the thought intended( 2 Thes. 2:10-12 ).
C. MUST MAKE AN EFFORT TO UNDERSTAND.
1. Desire for truth will result in a search( John 5:39 ).
2. An investigative spirit, an inquisitive mind
( Luke 10:38; Acts 17:11; The eunuch ).
3. The answer to "What must I do to be saved?" can be found in a search of the
Scriptures. They must be read, meditated on, and rightly applied.
A. THE GOSPEL IS GOD'S POWER TO SAVE ( Rom. 1:16 ).
B. WHERE IS ITS POWER? ( vs. 17 ).
C. UNDERSTANDING ALONE WILL NOT SAVE ( James 2:24 ).
D. "WHAT MUST I DO?" ( Acts 2:38; 8:35-36 )