1. Envy: "Phthonos, envy, the feeling of displeasure produced by witnessing or
hearing of the advantage or prosperity of others" ( Vine ). "1. A feeling of
discontent and ill will because of another's advantage, possessions, etc.;
resentful dislike of another who has something that one desires, 2. desire for
some advantage, quality, etc. that another has" ( Webster ).
2. Jealous: "zelos, envy, desires to deprive another of what he has, jealousy
desires to have the same sort of thing for itself" (Vine ). "1. Very watchful or
careful in guarding or keeping, 2. a)resentfully suspicious of a rival or a rival's
influence b)resentfully envious, 3. requiring exclusive loyalty"( Webster).
3. Covet: "To fix desire upon, whether things good or bad; hence to long for,
lust after, covet..."
B. SCRIPTURES THAT HELP TO DEFINE. JEALOUSY INVOLVES
1. Desires( Gen. 30:1 ).
2. Something that someone else has that perhaps we don't( Matt. 27:18 ).
-- related to covetousness( Rom. 1:29 ). Same Gk root is often used.
3. Something we have that we want exclusively( Num 5; Deut. 32:21 ).
4. Causes suspicion and results in it( Num. 5:12-15 ).
( Numbers 5:12-15; 25:10-11; Ex. 20:5; 2 Cor. 11:2 ).
A. EVALUATE IN LIGHT OF WHAT IT DOES.
1. When God is jealous( Deut. 29:20 ).
2. When man is jealous( James 3:16 ).
a. Joseph's brethren( Gen. 37:1-11 ).
b. Jealous husbands( Prov. 6: 30-35 ).
c. When egos and power are involved( Matt. 27:18 ).
d. Results in strife and suspicion( 1 Tim. 6:4 ).
e. Motivates greater than anger which is short-lived( Prov. 27:4 ).
f. It is just as ruinous for the possessor( Prov. 14:30 ).
B. HOW DOES GOD REGARD JEALOUSY IN MAN?
1. When it is for good( Numbers 25:10-11 ).
2. When it is for fleshly things( Rom. 1:29; Gal. 5:19-21; James 3:14-16 ).
3. Contrary to obvious traits desired in our lives( Rom. 12:15 ).
A. LOVE FOR MATERIAL THINGS( 1 Tim. 6:10 ).
B. PREVALENT WHERE SELF-GRATIFICATION IS, ALSO( Titus 3:3 ).
C. SYMPTOM OF A CARNAL ATTITUDE( 1 Cor. 3:1-3; Rom. 13:13-14 ).
D. WHERE MEN HAVE FLESHLY GOALS, THERE IS COMPETITION!
A. LOVE THAT REACHES OUT( 1 Cor. 13:4 ).
B. PUTTING ON CHRIST( Rom. 13:13-14 ).
1. Following his example( Matt. 20:28 ).
2. Centering our lives on him( Col. 3:1-2 ).
C. IF JEALOUS IS THE RESULT OF CENTERING ON THE
GRATIFICATION OF THE FLESH, IT MAY BE ELIMINATED BY
CENTERING ON SOMETHING ELSE( Gal. 5:16-24 ).
A. JEALOUSY RESULTS FROM HAVING OUR AFFECTIONS BEING ON THE
WRONG THING( Matt. 6:19-21 )
B. LOVE OF THE PHYSICAL IS FOOLISH BECAUSE OF WHAT IT COSTS
AND THE FUTILITY OF KEEPING PHYSICAL TREASURES.
C. IT IS DIFFICULT TO CENTER ON THINGS WE CANNOT SEE EVEN
THOUGH THEY ARE OF GREATER VALUE, BUT THE CHRISTIAN DOES
SO BECAUSE HE WALKS BY FAITH( 2 Cor. 5:7 ), AND NOT AFTER THE