A. MANY HAVE THE SAME VIEW OF THE CHURCH THAT THE JEWS HAD –
THAT IT IS A SECT OR SECTARIAN IN NATURE.
B. AS THE WORLD EMERGED FROM THE DARK AGES ATTEMPTS WERE
MADE TO REFORM THE CATHOLIC CHURCH – REFORMATION.
1. The Catholic Church was not reformed.
2. The result rather was 100s of splinter groups or sects.
C. SUCH COMPETITIVE DENOMINATIONAL SPIRIT HAS GREATLY HINDERED
THE TRUTH (Matt. 12:25).
A. BECAUSE THE NT TEACHES THERE IS ONE CHURCH.
1. Matt. 16:18; Acts 2:47; 20:28.
2. Figures used admit only one.
a. Body (Eph. 4:4; 2:16; 1:22-23).
b. Bride (2 Cor. 11:2).
B. THE NT TEACHES RELIGIOUS DIVISION IS WRONG (1 Cor. 1:10-13).
C. JESUS PRAYED FOR UNITY (John 17:20-21).
1. Division retards the salvation of the lost.
2. Prevents fellowship with God.
D. IT IS ALWAYS THE RESULT OF SIN.
1. Carnal spirit (1 Cor. 3:1-3; 1 Tim. 6:3-5; Matt. 10:34-39).
2. Ignoring the Scriptures (1 Cor. 4:6; Gal. 1:6-9; 2 John 9).
A. ONE SEED WAS PLANTED (Luke 8:11) – ONE CROP GREW.
B. IF WE ACCEPT THAT SEED, WE’LL BE THE SAME AS OTHERS WHO HAVE.
C. OUR OBJECT: TO BE ONE WITH THEM BY BEING LIKE THEM.
A. NO DENOMINATIONAL FOUNDER (Psa. 127:1; Matt. 16:18).
B. NO DENOMINATIONAL HEAD.
1. Jesus is the head (Eph. 1:22-23)
2. He has all authority (Matt. 28:18; Col. 3:17).
C. NO DENOMINATIONAL CREED.
1. Creed, credo, “I believe.”
2. Our statement of faith (2 Tim. 3:16-17) – The Bible!
D. NO DENOMINATIONAL NAME.
1. The church was called (Col. 1:18; Gal. 1:13; Acts 20:28; Rom. 16:16).
The expressions NOT denominationalized!
2. Members called Christians (Acts 11:26; 1 Pet. 4:15-16).
E. NO DENOMINATIONAL ORGANIZATION.
1. No councils, conventions, synods, wards, diocese, sponsoring churches.
2. No popes, cardinals, arch-bishops, presidents – no clergy/laity distinctions.
3. Each church is completely autonomous, having its own officers.
a. Elders (Acts 14:23; 20:28).
b. Deacons (Phil. 1:1).
F. NO DENOMINATIONAL WORSHIP.
1. Worship defined in the scriptures (John 4:24).
2. Hearts must be in it, must not be in accord with man’s precepts (Matt. 15:9).
3. Bible teaches singing, praying, Lord’s supper, Bible study, contribution.
G. NO DENOMINATIONAL WORK PROGRAM.
1. The church’s work in a nutshell (Eph. 4:11-12).
2. Not recreation, medicine, social, secular education.
H. NO DENOMINATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP.
1. We only ask what was asked in the NT – that will make Christians only.
2. What was true at Pentecost is true today (Acts 2:38).
3. Those who received the word that Peter spoke (Acts 2:41).
A. ARE YOU A MEMBER OF THE LORD’S CHURCH OR
ARE YOU A MEMBER OF A DENOMINATION?
B. HAVE YOU RECEIVED THE WORD AND OBEYED ITS COMMANDS?
C. HAVE YOU REPENTED AND BEEN BAPTIZED IN THE NAME OF JESUS FOR
THE REMISSION OF YOUR SINS?