A. HOPEFULLY WE SEE THE NEED TO BE BAPTIZED( Acts 2:38; 22:16 ).
B. IS THERE EVER A NEED TO BE RE-BAPTIZED?
A. BACKGROUND IS FOUND IN Acts 18:24-28.
1. Apollos had been teaching the baptism of John
2. But he himself was taught more accurately by Aquila and Priscilla.
3. Paul finds some "disciples" at Ephesus( Acts 19:1-3 ).
4. Upon further examination he has them "re-baptized"( Acts 19:4-5 ).
B. SOME OBSERVATIONS.
1. They had been previously "baptized."
2. But their baptism was lacking in some way.
a. Even though it was immersion.
b. Even though it was "for the remission of sins"( Mark 1:4 ).
c. It was not in the name of Jesus( Acts 2:38; 10:48; 19:5 ).
d. What did it make them? Not Christians, but Jews. John baptized under
the Old Law.
3. Because their first "baptism" lacked essential elements, "re-baptism" was
C. IF BAPTISM LACKS A BASIC ELEMENT, ISN'T REBAPTISM CALLED FOR?
A. THERE ARE FIVE "TENETS" OF BIBLE BAPTISM.
1. The proper MODE - a burial (immersion)( Rom. 6:3; Col. 2:12 ).
2. The proper AUTHORITY - in the name of Christ( Acts 19:5 ).
3. The proper PURPOSE - remission of sins( Acts 2:38; 22:16 ).
4. The proper SUBJECT - penitent believer( Acts 2:38; 8:37; Mark 16:16 ).
5. Into the proper FELLOWSHIP( Acts 2:47; Eph. 1:22-23; 2:16; 4:4 ).
a. Eph. 4:4-5; 1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 5:25-26.
b. Cults and false denominations practice baptism.
i. Incorrectly sometimes, i. e., Catholic, Methodist, Baptist.
ii. Sometimes correctly, but baptism is not the only measure.
Mormons, Jews, Christian Church ( Acts 19:1-7; Luke 3:3 ).
MUST BE BAPTIZED AGAIN!
B. WE HAVE SEEN THAT WHEN ONE OF THESE IS LACKING, "RE-BAPTISM"
WAS COMMANDED( Acts 19:1-5 ).
C. APPLYING WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED ABOUT BAPTISM:
1. Sprinkling is not the right mode, re-baptism would be necessary.
2. Any other authority than Jesus, such as Ellen G. White, Joseph Smith, or the
Watch Tower, rebaptism is needed.
3. If we were baptized as a public confession of faith (thinking that we were
already saved), as practiced by most Baptists, Assemblies Of God, our
baptism was not for the right purpose (remission of sins and the gift of the
Holy Spirit)and "re-baptism" would be required to assure that we have indeed
been scripturally baptized.
4. If we were baptized but were not penetent believers as is the case when
people are baptized when all their friends are doing it, because their spouse,
fiance, or parents are pressuring them to do it (and they do it to please them,
not God) our baptism was lacking the right SUBJECTS (penitent believers),
and our need for "re-baptism" is just as great as any other!
5. It we were baptized into the wrong fellowship( a church the Lord didn't
build, one that you don't read of in the Bible, you need to be baptized again.
A. IF BAPTISM LACKS ANY OF THE FIVE TENETS OF BIBLE BAPTISM,
1. Right MODE - immersion,
2. Right AUTHORITY- Jesus Christ,
3. Right PURPOSE - remission of sins,
4. Right SUBJECT - penitent believer,
5. Right FELLOWSHIP - Lord's church,
6. Then "re-baptism" is both appropriate and necessary!
B. WHEN ONE IS BAPTIZED BECAUSE THEIR FIRST BAPTISM LACKED AN
1. It is not really "re-baptism!"
2. That person is finally being baptized scripturally for the FIRST time!
3. When one has been scripturally baptized ONCE...
a. There is never a need to be baptized again!
b. For once we have clothed ourselves with Christ in baptism:
1) The blood of Christ will cleanse us of our sins
2) As long as we REPENT and CONFESS our sins to God
( Acts 8:22; 1 John 2;1-2 ).
C. HAVE YOU BEEN SCRIPTURALLY BAPTIZED?