A. WHAT DO SARAH, HANNAH, RUTH, ESTHER, ELIZABETH HAVE IN COMMON?
1. All are women mentioned in the Bible because they were godly.
2. Many women in the Bible played a vital role in unfolding God’s purpose.
B. ONE WOMAN’S STORY IS TOLD IN 8 VERSES.
1. We remember her for what Peter did to her. He raised her from the dead.
2. This text says so much more about her that is worthy of notice.
A. DISCIPLE, mathetria, “Not only a pupil, but an adherent; hence
they are spoken of as imitators of their teacher” (Vine).
1. Jesus describes his disciples (John 8:31; Luke 9:23).
2. What are the disciples of Jesus called? (Acts 11:26).
B. LIKE JESUS, TABITHA LOVED AND SACRIFICED FOR OTHERS (Eph. 5:1-2).
1. You can’t love God and hate your brethren! (1 John 4:20-21).
2. Like Jesus, she lived in service to others (Matt. 20:26-28).
C. THE AIM OF ALL DISCIPLES (Luke6:40).
A. WE WERE CREATED IN CHRIST FOR THIS (Eph. 2:10).
B. ZEALOUS – READY FOR WHATEVER GOD WANTS (Titus 2:13-14; 3:1).
C. APART FROM THE OBVIOUS, GOOD WORKS ARE GOOD (Titus 3:8).
1. They are our fruit – we are useful (Titus 3:14).
2. Our love for others expressed in our good works (1 John 3:17-18).
3. People are drawn to Christ by what we do (Matt. 5:16).
D. GOD GIVES US THE POWER TO DO THESE THINGS (2 Cor. 9:8).
E. HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT GOD WANTS US TO DO? (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
A. TABITHA HAD A TALENT AND USED IT.
B. WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TALENTS (Rom. 12:4-5).
1. God asked Moses, “What is in your hand?” (Ex. 4:2).
2. What is in my hand? A needle, car keys, telephone? All can be used in serving.
C. DON’T BURY YOUR TALENT (Matt. 25; Eph. 4:16).
A. SICKNESS AND DEATH ARE THE LOT OF ALL (Ecc. 8:8).
1. “The Rich Man also died” (Luke 16:22).
2. Rich or poor, evil or righteous. Death is common to all (Heb. 9:27)
B. Heb. 9:27. AFTER DEATH, WHAT? (Heb. 10:31).
C. ARE WE PREPARED FOR THIS? (Matt. 16:26).
A. THE APOSTLES WORKED MIRACLES BY THE POWER OF JESUS.
1. The healing of the lame man (Acts 3:12, 16)
2. The purpose of the miracles (Heb. 2:3-4).
B. THE ULTIMATE POWER EXPRESSED IN THE WORD OF JESUS.
1. Creation Power (Psa. 33:9; Heb. 11:3; 1:3).
2. Resurrection Power (John 5:25-26).
a. Jesus was asserting his power to Save (John 11:25-26).
b. A demonstration of his Power (John 11:43-44).
3. At the end of time (John 5:28-29).
C. OURS IS A LIVING HOPE (1 Pet. 1:3).
A. MANY BELIEVED, ALSO BECAUSE OF THE WORKS OF JESUS (Josh. 20:30-31).
B. THE APOSTLES WERE NOT DECEIVED (1 Pet. 1:16; 1 John 1:1-4).
C. THEY STAKED THEIR LIVES (2 Cor. 4:11-12).
Do You Believe?
A. TABITHA IS PRESENTED AS AN EXAMPLE FOR ALL TO FOLLOW.
B. A SIMPLE EXAMPLE OF HOW IMPORTANT ONE WOMAN CAN BE.
C. AN EXAMPLE OF THE POWER OF GOD.