The Premillennial Proposition: That Jesus is not now king, nor does he sit on his throne as
promised to David. The kingdom was postponed, and the church established instead.
The throne is literal and earthly.
THIS IS OUR PROPOSITION: Acts 2:36. Word by Word Examination is called for.
A. JESUS CHRIST.
l. Lord" implies rulership. "Christ", "Anointed", Anointed to be what? KING!
2. It is argued that David was anointed before he was king. So with Jesus –
But Jesus claimed to have Authority (Matt. 28:18; Col. 3:17) and exercised it
( Luke 24:47 & Acts 2:38; I Tim. 6:l4-l6 ).
B. JESUS CHRIST IS KING.
l. If there is no Kingdom, Jesus is not a King. If one was Postponed, the other was too.
2. Jesus announced kingdom at hand ( Mk. 1:14-l5 ) His integrity is at Stake.
3. OT prophecies - NT fulfillments
( Dan. 2:44 ) ( Mark 1:14-l5; Mark 9:l; Heb. 12:28;
Acts l:8-9; Acts 2:l-4 ).
C. JESUS CHRIST IS KING ON A THRONE.
l. Premillennial Position - literal throne - ignores figurative language.
a. Christ- "Shoot" "Stock" "Root" of Jesse, John to build a "highway"
b. Jesus called Herod a "fox", Paul warned of grievous wolves.
2. King of what throne - literal? on earth?
a. Paul's declaration says NO"- ( 2 Cor. 5:16 )
b. ( Jno. 18:36 ) NOT of this world.
D. THE THRONE OF DAVID.
l. David's throne promised ( Isa. 9:6-7 ) fulfilled ( Luke l:32-33 )
2. No other throne. God's throne is David's throne is Solomon's.
a. Solomon sat on his own throne ( l Kings l:46-48 )
Solomon sat on David's throne ( l Kings 2:12 )
But he also sat on God's throne ( l Chron. 29:23 )
b. Jesus sits on this throne. No present or future throne.
3. David's Temporal throne typifies the heavenly - Refers to rulership.
A. CONIAH AND HIS SEED.
l. Jesus a fleshly descendent
2. "Write this man childless" - No successor to throne in Judah.
3. Zedekiah his son a Babylonian vassal - not approved ( Ez. 21:25-27 ).
C. CONIAH AND CHRIST.
l. "Until he comes whose right it is."
2. But not in Judah ( Jer. 22:30 )
D. PETER’S CONCLUSION: David's Throne ( Acts 2:30 ) In Heaven ( vs. 34 )
A. THE BRANCH TO SIT AND RULE ( Isa. 11:1, 10 ) ( Rom. 15:12 ) Christ the Branch
B. CHRIST, THE BRANCH, TO DO SEVERAL THINGS AT THE SAME TIME.
l. Build Temple - done ( Eph. 2:21-22 l Cor. 3:16 ).
2. Sit ( Acts 2:34 ) and rule upon his throne ( Heb. 1:3, 8 Eph. l:20-23 )
3. He shall be s priest upon his throne ( Heb. 4:14; Heb. 8:4) NOW, not on the earth.
4. High priest on his throne; therefore, throne not on earth.
5. After the order of Melchizedek (Psa. 110:4 ).
6. Who was Melchizedek?( Heb. 7:l-3 ) Priest and King.
C. CHRIST AND MELCHIZEDEK ( Heb. 7:1-3 )
A. RESURRECTION, "THEN COMETH THE END."
B. THE ABOLITION OF DEATH.
l. ( Acts 2 ) Christ reigns now
2. ( l Cor. 15 ) Reigns till the resurrection - Not after.
3. Some argue 2 resurrections - but Jesus is in heaven at God's right hand, Not on an
earthly throne until the last dead person is raised. Then comes the end. Where does the
earthly reign come in?