A. ROMANS IS A BOOK ON THE NEED AND MECHANICS OF SALVATION.
1. Rom. 1-3. All are sinners( 3:23 ).
2. Rom. 3-5. Saved by grace - not merit( 5:1-2 ).
B. WHERE SIN ABOUNDS, GRACE ABOUNDS. "SHALL WE CONTINUE IN
A. WE HAVE DIED TO SIN( 6:2 ). NO LONGER IN SIN'S BONDAGE.
1. The old master has no dominion over the dead servant.
2. Sin is the old master and we have died.
B. CONSIDER PAUL'S LESSON( vs. 3-7 ).
1. Once we were all alive to sin but dead to God( Eph. 2:1 ).
2. We die to sin by repenting and submitting to God to obey Him( vs. 12-13 ).
a. Buried with Jesus into his death( vs. 3-4 ).
b. Raised to walk in a new life( vs. 4 ).
c. United with Jesus( vs. 5 ) - Fellowship.
d. In baptism we are crucified with him.
We experience Christ's death with him( vs. 6; 2 Cor. 5:14-15 ).
e. To what purpose?( vs. 6 ). That the body of sin might be done away.
3. Since the wages of sin is death, and we have died in the death of Jesus, we
have in a sense died, paid the price, and are justified from sin( vs. 7).
C. RAISED FROM BAPTISM TO WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE!
1. No longer in bondage to sin - therefore we stop( vs. 16-18 ).
2. Alive to the hope of fellowship( vs. 8-11 ).
3. Dead unto sin - alive unto God - Newness of Life.
A. PUT TO DEATH YOUR EARTHLY MEMBERS - CONTROL THEM.
1. Involves ceasing activities of servitude( vs. 5, 8-9a ).
2. The result of such a life( vs. 6 ).
3. It is the old life( vs. 7 ).
B. SUCH A CHANGE IS MADE POSSIBLE BY A CHANGE INSIDE( vs. 9-10 ).
C. THE RESULT IS FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD( vs. 10 ).
D. WHEN ARE OUR EARTHLY MEMBERS PUT OFF( Col. 2:11-12 ).
A. "NEW CREATURES"( vs. 17 ).
B. AT ENMITY - RECONCILED THROUGH JESUS. HOW?( vs. 18-19 ).
C. "WE BESEECH YOU" - RECONCILIATION UP TO US( vs. 20 ).
1. God has done his part( vs. 21 ).
2. We have done our part( 6:1a ).
3. Now it is your turn( 6:1b-2 ).
A. BOTH JEW AND GENTILE ARE UNDER SIN( Rom. 3:9; 6:23 ).
B. THOSE WALKING IN NEWNESS OF LIFE WALK IN HOPE( Rom. 6:23 ).
A. HAVE YOU OBEYED?( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
B. IF YOU HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED, ARE YOU WALKING IN NEWNESS OF