A. WE ARE A PEOPLE CHARACTERIZED BY A LACK OF APPRECIATION.
1. We are the richest people ever, highest standard of living.
2. Insecure and unhappy. What’s wrong?
B. CHILDREN OFTEN FAIL TO SHOW APPRECIATION.
1. Must be taught early.
2. Maybe they take after us.
3. We view many blessings as thought they are owed to us, luxuries as necessities.
C. DO WE APPRECIATE WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR US?
A. HE TOOK TIME TO MAKE US ( Acts 17:24-28 ).
B. HE MADE US IN HIS IMAGE ( Gen. 1:26 ).
C. HE PROVIDES US WITH LIFE’S NECESSITIES ( Matt. 6:33; James 1:17 ).
D. HE EXALTED US ABOVE THE REST OF CREATION ( Psa. 8:4-9 ).
E. HE HAS PROVIDED US WITH SALVATION:
1. In his exalted state man sinned( Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23; 6:23 ).
2. Jesus is our Savior ( John 3:16; Rom. 3:23-24 ).
3. Salvation demands a death payment for sin ( 1 Pet. 2:21-24 ).
4. In the gospel this salvation is made known ( Titus 2:11-12; Rom. 1:16-17 ).
F. GOD CONTINUES TO CARE FOR US BOTH PHYSCALLY AND SPIRITUALLY
( Matt. 10:29-31 ).
G. THESE BLESSINGS ARE ALL SUMMED UP IN THE WORD “LOVE.”
A. FIRST BY LOVING GOD ( Matt. 22:37 ).
B. THIS MEANS PUTTING HIM FIRST ( Luke 14:26 ).
C. WE WILL OWN HIM AS OUR MASTER ( Matt. 6:24 ).
D. WE WILL PUT AWAY WORLDY ACTIVITIES AND ASSOCIATIONS
( Rom. 2:4; 1 Cor. 15:33 ).
E. WE WILL SEE OUR DUTY TOWARD OTHERS ( 2 Cor. 5:14-15 ).
F. THESE THINGS WILL WE DO, NOT MERELY OUT OF A FEAR OF
PUNISHMENT. WE WILL DO THESE THINGS OUT OF SIMPLE
APPRECIATION FOR WHAT GOD HAS DONE.
G. 1 John 5:3; John 14:15.
A. EVEN WITHOUT FEAR OF DIVINE PUNISHMENT, THE DISCERNING MAN
IS MOVED TO REPENT.
B. THINK OF ALL THAT GOD HAS DONE FOR YOU.
C. DO YOU APPRECIATE WHAT GOD HAS DONE?
D. WON’T YOU DO SOMETHING FOR HIM?