A. DEFINITION OF "LAW": "A rule of conduct, considered as binding, a system
or body of such rules." Funk & Wagnall's.
B. WE HEAR IT SAID THAT THERE IS NO LAW FOR CHRISTIANS TODAY.
C. LET'S STUDY AND SEE IF WE ARE UNDER ANY LAW.
A. FROM THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT:
1. Jesus gives "binding rules"( Matt. 5:27-28, 31-32 ).
2. Jesus binds the keeping of these rules( 7:21-27 ).
B. KEEPING COMMANDS IMPLIES LAW( John 14:15; 15:9-10, 12-14 ).
C. EVIDENCE IN THE EPISTLES:
1. The context of our text( Rom. 6:1-2; 12-13, 17-18 ).
2. Law in the gospel & traditions( 2 Thes. 2:13-15; 3:6, 14 ).
3. Law inherent in the gospel( Mark 16:15-16; 2 Thess. 1:8 ).
4. No law implies unconditional salvation!
Is there nothing that we must do?
D. USES OF THE WORD "LAW" IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
1. James equates the "law" with the "word"( James 1:21-25 ).
2. Convicted and judged by a "law," written to Christians( James 2:9-12 ).
3. What is sin?( James 4:17; 1 John 3:4 ). Its power?( 1 Cor. 15:55-57 ).
4. A prophesied law( Heb. 8:10 ).
5. Paul's statement concerning himself( 1 Cor. 9:20-21 ).
E. THERE IS PUNISHMENT, THERE MUST BE LAW( 2 Thess. 1:7-9 ).
A. A CONTRAST OF TWO SYSTEMS.
1. Of law where perfect obedience is demanded. Law is supreme.
2. Of grace where there is law, but forgiveness is available. Grace is supreme.
B. OLD LAW DEMANDED PERFECT OBEDIENCE( Gal. 3:10-12 ).
1. Perfect obedience earns salvation in a system of law( Rom. 4:4 ).
2. But who has perfectly obeyed?( Rom. 3:23 ).
C. OBEDIENCE IS EXPECTED UNDER THE NEW LAW( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
1. But forgiveness is available for those who fail( 1 John 2:1-2 ).
2. Forgiveness is conditional( 1 John 1:6-9; Rom. 8:1-4 ).
D. Romans 6:1-2, 15 BEST UNDERSTOOD IN THE CONTEXT OF ROMANS:
1. Romans 1 - The Gentiles are sinners.
2. Romans 2 - The Jews are no better.
3. Romans 3 - All are under sin.
4. Romans 3b-5 - Saved by grace ( unmerited favor ) not by race our own
personal goodness( Rom. 5:8; Luke 17:10 ).
5. Some had the idea that since we are saved by grace that our own personal
goodness was not taken into account at all, that we do whatever we want and
grace will cover it. There must be no law. Paul's answer:
A. GOD SPEAKS THROUGH JESUS( Heb. 1:1-2 ).
B. JESUS SPEAKS THROUGH THE APOSTLES( Luke 10:16 ).
A. THERE IS NO NEED TO SUPPLEMENT( Jude 3; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
B. IT IS A PERFECT LAW( James 1:25 ).
C. IT IS BOUND AS IS( 2 John 9; Gal. 1:6-9 ).
A. OBEDIENCE HAS ITS REWARD( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
B. HAVE YOU OBEYED( Matt. 7:21 ).
C. YOU ARE SUBJECT TO THIS LAW, WILL YOU SUBMIT?