TEXT: Rom. 12:17
A. HONOR IS IMPORTANT.
B. WEBSTER: "Having a sense of right & wrong, characterized by honesty &
C. TOO LITTLE CONCERN FOR SUCH TODAY.
A. FROM kalos.
1. Baker's Dict. of Theology: "has various shades of meaning, moral excellence,
sincerity and the sense of fairness in moral, social and commercial doings."
2. Vine's: "good, admirable, becoming, has also the ethical meaning of what is
fair, right, honorable, of such conduct as deserves esteem."
B. SOME PASSAGES: Rom. 12:17; 2 Cor. 13:7; 8:16-21; 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
A. HE LOVES THE TRUTH AND ACCEPTS IT.
1. Noble attitude( Acts 17:11 ).
a. Able to set aside prejudices( 2 Thes. 2:10-12 ).
b. No baloney!( 1 Thes. 5:21 ).
2. Treasures the truth( Prov. 23:23 ).
3. The truth has an effect on him( Luke 8:15; John 8:32 ).
B. HE IS CAREFUL TO SPEAK THE TRUTH.
1. How does God regard falsehood( Prov. 12:22; 6:16 ).
2. He is careful in his speech( Eph. 4:25; James 5:12 ).
3. Revelation 21:8.
C. HE HAS A SINCERE SENSE OF FAIRNESS.
1. Personal honor is not self-centered( Eph. 4:1-3 ).
2. It takes into consideration others( Phil. 2:1-4 ).
3. Fairness is important( Mat. 7:12 ).
4. Keeps commitments( Psa. 15:4 ). Jephthah's vow.
Even when it hurts!!!
D. HE SEEKS TO PLEASE GOD.
1. He hungers after righteousness( Mat. 5:6 ).
2. He recognizes the righteous nature of God's law( Psa. 119:7-11 ).
3. He does that will as he accepts it( Mat. 26:39 ).
A HONOR IS INSEPARABLE FROM DOING RIGHT.
1. No wrong is too little to be avoided.
2. No right is to small that it may be ignored.
B. DO THE RIGHT THING( 2 Cor. 13:7 ).