A. SIN IS TAKEN LIGHTLY BY CHRISTIANS AND THE WORLD.
B. WHAT IS SIN?( 1 John 3:4; James 4:17; Rom. 14:23 ).
C. THE BIBLE REVEALS THE SERIOUSNESS OF SIN.
1. In its UNIVERSALITY( Rom. 3:23 ).
2. In its CONSEQUENCES( Rom. 6:23 ).
D. MANY AREN'T AWARE OF THE PROBLEM OF SIN OR HOW THE GOSPEL
ADDRESSES SIN AS A PROBLEM.
A. THERE IS THE "LOVE" OF SIN.
1. Sin does have its pleasurable nature( Heb. 11:24-25 ).
2. The pleasurable side of sin blinds men to the truth( John 3:19 ).
3. The love of sin is its power - Love of that which is sinful.
a. Sin's a product of temptation(James 1:13-15). You don't have to sin.
b. As an illustration of sins power( Rom. 7:14-21 ).
B. THERE IS THE PRACTICE OF SIN.
1. The seriousness of sin is seen in that ALL have sinned!( Rom. 3:23 ).
2. Even Christians continue to practice sin at times( 1 John 1:8-10 ).
C. THERE IS THE STATE OF SIN.
1. Those who love and practice sin are said to be DEAD IN SIN( Eph. 2:1 ).
2. This pertains to our relationship to God!( vs. 12; Rom. 6:10-13 ).
D. THERE IS THE GUILT OF SIN.
1. In the Scriptures, this refers primarily to LEGAL guilt( Rom. 5:12 ).
2. We cannot deny or suppress the truth of our guilt( Rom. 3:19 ).
3. There is the problem of EMOTIONAL guilt as well( Matt. 26:76; 27:3-4 ).
E. FINALLY, THERE IS THE RESULT OF SIN
1. "The wages of sin is death"( Rom. 3:23 ).
2. In the Scriptures, death includes the idea of separation( James 2:26 ).
3. Such separation exists in this life, but more in the life to come!( Rev. 21:8 ).
A. THE GOSPEL PRESENTS FACTS TO BE BELIEVED.
1. What does the gospel tell us about Jesus?( 1 Cor. 15:1-4; Acts 2:22-36 ).
2. What does the gospel tell us about sin?( Rom. 3:23; 6:23 ).
B. THE GOSPEL PRESENTS COMMANDS AND PROMISES TO ALLEVIATE
THE PROBLEMS OF SIN.
1. The Command to Believe in Jesus addresses the Love of Sin.
a. That it is necessary to believe is evident from Mark 16:15-16.
b. True faith will help to eliminate our love for sin.
c. Do we understand the implications of sin
( Heb. 6:6; Rom. 2:4; Psa. 119:104 ).
2. The Command to Repent of our Sins addresses the Practice of sin.
a. The gospel clearly calls mankind to repent( Acts 2:38; 17:30-31 ).
b. Repent means "stop sinning"( 1 Cor. 6:9-11 ).
3. The Command to be Baptized addresses the State of Sin.
a. Remember, outside of Christ our state is "dead in sin."
b. The gospel teaches baptism( Mark 16:15-16; Matt. 28:18-20 ).
c. Baptism changes our state( Gal. 3:27; Rom. 6:3-4; 11 ).
4. The Promise of Remission addresses the Guilt of Sin.
a. Remission of sins is promised to those who trust and obey( Acts 2:38 ).
b. Comfort for those who feel the burden( 2 Cor. 7:10; Matt. 11:28 ).
5. The Promise of Eternal Life addresses the Result of Sin.
a. Our hope in the Lord( Rom. 6:23 ).
b. With Jesus and our loved ones( 1 Thess. 4:16-18 ).
A. THE GOSPEL ADDRESSES THE PROBLEMS OF SIN.
B. WE ARE ALL SINNERS.
C. IF YOU RECEIVE THE GOSPEL, WHAT WILL YOU DO?( Acts 2:41 ).
"Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way." (Psa. 119:104)