A. PREVIOUS LESSONS DEALT WITH THE PROBLEM, LOVE AND PRACTICE OF
SIN AND HOW THE GOSPEL DEALS WITH EACH..
B. THIS LESSON EXAMINES HOW THE COMMAND TO BE BAPTIZED IS THE
GOSPEL'S ANSWER TO THE STATE OF SIN.
1. Beginning with the "Great Commission"( Mark 16:15-16 ).
2. As the apostle and others went out preaching Christ, they taught the necessity
of baptism( Acts 2:36-38; 8:35-39; 10:48; 22:16 ).
C. THE IMPORTANCE OF BAPTISM CAN BE SEEN IN HOW IT CHANGES
THE STATE OF SIN.
A. Eph. 2:1-3. BECAUSE OF SIN, DEAD IN SIN, DEAD TO GOD!
B. WHAT HAS GOD DONE ABOUT IT?( Eph. 2:4-9 ).
1. By the mercy, love and grace of God, and not through works of merit.
2. Made alive together with Christ, raised together with him!
A. PLEASE NOTICE THAT PAUL IS NOT SAYING...
1. Baptism is a symbolic demonstration of the death, burial and resurrection of
Christ engaged in by those who have already died to sin.
2. Baptism is to be a public profession of one's faith in the death, burial, and
resurrection of Christ ( Acts 8:35-38; Acts 16:30-34 ). Who was there?
B. WHEN AND HOW DO WE DIE TO SIN?
1. Before Baptism, Dead in sin and Dead to God( Eph. 2:1 ).
2. In Baptism
a. Buried with Christ into his death( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
b. United with him in the likeness of his death, Crucified with him, Thus
we die to sin and are Freed from Sin( vs. 6-7 ).
c. Raised with Christ( Col. 2:12 ) to Newness of Life( Rom. 6:4-5 ).
3. After Baptism, Dead to sin, Alive to God( Rom. 6:11; Gal. 3:26-27 ).
5. Note that our State in regards to Sin and God has changed( Rom. 6:11 ).
a. Before baptism into Christ, we were dead in sin.
b. But after baptism we are dead to sin, and alive to God!
A. WHAT? "PUTTING OFF THE BODY OF THE FLESH."
B. WHEN? "HAVING BEEN BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM."
C. THEN WHAT? WE WERE RAISED TOGETHER WITH HIM.
1. Through faith ( man's part, expressed by obedience in baptism).
2. In the working of God( God's part, who cleanses us by the blood of
Christ( 1 Pet. 3:18-19; Rom. 6:23-25 ).
3. When does God do his work of cutting off sin?
D. SO WHEN A PERSON IS BAPTIZED:
1. God performs a "spiritual operation" (the "circumcision of Christ")!
2. He is being raised together with Christ ( Col. 2:12 ).
3. The cause of sin is done away, therefore we are alive( vs. 13-14 ).
4. In baptism we "put on" Christ( Gal. 3:27 ).
5. This is how one REALLY receives Jesus Christ into their life; not by saying
"the sinner's prayer", but by submitting to the command of Christ to be
baptized into His death for the remission of sins!
A. BAPTISM IS WHERE THE STATE OF SIN CHANGES.
B. THIS EXPLAINS THE EMPHASIS ON BAPTISM IN EARLY PREACHING.
( Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:36-38 )
C. WHAT IS YOUR STATE?
1. Have you been baptized?
2. Have you died to sin?