A. THIS SERIES HAS EMPHASIZED GOD'S EFFORT TO SAVE US THROUGH
THE GOSPEL( Rom. 1:16-17 ).
B. WE HAVE EXAMINED VARIOUS ASPECTS OF THE PROBLEM OF SIN,
AND HOW THEY ARE ADDRESSED BY THE GOSPEL.
1. Faith is the gospel's answer to the love of sin.
2. Repentance, the gospel's answer to the practice of sin.
3. Baptism addresses the state of sin.
4.` Remission of sins addresses the guilt of sin.
C. THIS LESSON DEALS WITH THE RESULT OF SIN
- THE PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE( Rom. 6:23 ).
A. ONE RESULT OF SIN IS SPIRITUAL DEATH.
1. The death referred to by God when He warned Adam & Eve( Gen. 2:15-17 ).
a. "...for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
b. They did not die physically but they did die spiritually in that day.
2. "Spiritual" death is "separation from God."
a. Death of any sort involves the idea of "separation."
b. Just as physical death is the separation of body and spirit( James 2:26 ).
3. "Spiritual" death is what occurs when we sin( Rom. 5:12 ).
a. At the age of accountability when we violate God's law( Rom. 7:9 ).
b. This is the "death" referred to in Eph. 2:1-3, 12; Isa. 59:1-2.
B. ANOTHER RESULT OF SIN IS "PHYSICAL" DEATH( Gen. 3:16-19 ).
1. ( 1 Cor.15:22 )We are Adam's physical offspring, so we inherit that which is
his physically - physical death.
2. Spiritually, from birth, we are God's offspring. Therefore we are born
spiritually innocent and alive. Man becomes a spiritual descendent of Adam
only when he does that which Adam did - sin.( Rom. 3:23; 6:23; 5:12 )
C. THE FINAL RESULT OF SIN IS THE "SECOND" DEATH.
1. This death is referred to in Rev. 21:8.
2. This "death" involves ETERNAL separation from God!
3. This "death" Jesus often spoke of and warned about Matt. 10:28; 25:41-46.
D. THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH IN MORE THAN ONE SENSE( Rom. 6:23 ).
A. THE GOSPEL SOLVES THE PROBLEM OF SPIRITUAL DEATH BY
PROVIDING IN ONE SENSE ETERNAL LIFE NOW!
1. John speaks of this life in 1 John 5:11-13.
2. Eternal in quality, knowing God and Jesus, having fellowship with them
( John 17:3; 10:10; 1 John 5:20 ).
3 No longer "dead in sin," "separated from God."
4. "Begins when we rise from baptism in "newness of life"( Rom. 6:4 ).
a. In baptism our sins are forgiven( Acts 2:38; 22:16 ).
b. We enter into a new relationship with God ( Gal. 3:26-27 ).
5. We were once dead spiritually, are now alive in Christ!( Eph. 2:1, 4-9 ).
B. TO PHYSICAL DEATH, THE HOPE OF THE RESURRECTION.
1. Jesus spoke of this "hope" in John 5:28-29.
2. Paul wrote of this wonderful "hope" in 1 Cor. 15:20-23, 50-58.
3. Based upon Jesus' resurrection( 1 Pet. 1:3; 2 Cor. 4:13-14 ).
4. With such hope, physical death has lost much of its sting( 1 Thess 4:13-18 ).
C. IN ANSWER THE SECOND DEATH, THE HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE.
1. In this sense, eternal life is future ( Matt. 25:46; Mark 10:29-30; Titus 1:2 ).
2. This "eternal life" comes AFTER one has:
a. Been set free from sin( Rom. 6:3-7 ).
b. Become a slave to God( Rom. 6:17-19 ).
c. Produced the fruit of holiness( Rom. 6:22 ).
3. Comes AFTER the resurrection and judgment( Matt. 25:31-34, 46 ).
4. Comes to those who patiently DO the will of God!( Rom. 2:4-7 ).
5. Offers honor, peace and glory to those who receive it( Rom. 2:8-11 ).
6. Is beautifully described by the apostle John in Rev. 21:1-7; 22:1-5.
A. THE GOSPEL ADDRESSES SPIRITUAL DEATH, PHYSICAL DEATH, AND THE
SECOND DEATH AS THEY ARE CAUSE BY SIN.
B. THE PROMISE OF THE GOSPEL IS FOR FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD, THE
RESURRECTION FROM THE GRAVE, AND LIFE ETERNAL.
C. WILL YOU ANSWER THE GOSPEL CALL?