A. THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE!
1. God is the provider of all good things( James 1:17 ).
2. God's greatest gift is eternal life.
B. THE COST OF THIS FREE GIFT IS VERY HIGH. HOW CAN THIS BE?
1. A high cost was paid to offer the gift.
2. And a high cost must be paid to receive it!
C. WE NEED TO LOOK FURTHER INTO THIS FREE GIFT.
A. MANY HAVE A WRONG IDEA ABOUT HOW SALVATION IS OBTAINED.
1. They think that salvation is earned by the "good works" they do.
2. Many professing Christians believe they earn salvation through
a. Their good life.
b. Their generous giving of their money.
c. Their faithful attendance at church.
B. BUT SALVATION IS GOD'S GIFT TO UNDESERVING MEN.
1. Offered while we were still sinners, ungodly, and enemies( Rom. 5:6-8 ).
2. Not because we love God, but because He loved us!( 1 John 4:9-10 ).
3. And it is offered to all who will receive it!( Rev. 21:6; 22:17 ).
C. SALVATION IS OFFERED FREELY, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN COSTS
A. WHAT IT COST THE FATHER( John 3:16; Rom. 8:32 ).
B. WHAT IT COST THE SON( Phil. 2:5-8 ).
1. Glory and majesty, which He had with the Father( John 17:5 ).
2. The humiliation of servitude to the point of dying( Matt. 20:28 ).
C. WHAT IT COST THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. A ministry through the ages of patiently wooing the stubborn hearts of sinful
men through the call of the gospel( John 16:8; 2 Thess. 2:13-14).
2. Suffering long with men who resist Him( Eph. 4:30 ).
A. IT COSTS THE DENIAL OF SELF, AND MUCH THAT MEN HOLD DEAR.
1. Paul expressed it vividly in several passages( Gal. 2:20; Phil. 3:7-8 ).
2. A fair price( Rom. 12:1 ).
B. THIS MAKES THE GOSPEL "A HARD GOSPEL" TO ACCEPT.
1. They want to accept Jesus as Savior, but not as Lord of their lives. But the
two are inseparable( Luke 2:11; Acts 2:36; 10:36 ).
2. No man can accept Jesus as "Savior" without accepting Him as "Lord"!
a. Jesus Himself made this clear when He warned His hearers that the cost
of discipleship is high( Luke 14:25-33 ).
b. His lordship must be acknowledged if we are to know Him as Savior!
C. A DENIAL OF SELF INVOLVES REPENTANCE.
1. A change of the inner man, the character( John 3:5; Col. 3:9-10 ).
2. A change of affections( Rom. 12:9; 1 John 2:15-17 ).
3. A change of behavior( 1 Cor. 6:9-11 ).
4. Turning over our will to do his( 1 Pet. 4:1-2 ).
D. "JUST ACCEPT CHRIST AND BE SAVED" IS THE APPEAL OF MANY.
1. Many assume that it is a matter of "just wanting" Him, "with no obligation.
2. However, consider the words of Jesus Himself( John 14:21; Matt. 7:21 ).
A. THE GIFT OF SALVATION, WHILE OFFERED FREELY, COSTS A LOT.
1. Salvation cannot be earned, nor merited, by any amount of good deeds.
2. After a lifetime of diligent obedience we are still unworthy( Luke 17:10 )
3. But the Lordship of Jesus rightly demands a full surrender to His authority
( Matt. 28:18-20 ).
B. JESUS THOUGHT YOUR SOUL WAS WORTH THE PRICE.
C. DO YOU?( Matt. 16:26 ).