Origins of Unbelief
A. CHARGES AGAINST OUR FAITH:
1. Anti-social – offers nothing to society as a whole.
2. It deprecates the mind and preys on emotions.
3. Accepted only by the gullible without foundation or evidence.
B. THESE ARE REACTIONS OF PRIDE THE BLOW WHICH IS DEALT TO IT BY
1. Man likes to think of himself as self-sufficient ( Prov. 14:12; Jer. 10:23 ).
2. What has man through human reasoning answered about life and purpose.
( 1 Cor. 1:18, 21-24 ).
3. The Bible takes man off his pedestal ( Isa. 55:8-9; 1 Cor. 3:19 ).
A. IT CALLS ON MEN TO THINK, TO EXAMINE EVIDENCE
( Acts. 17:2, 17; 18:19; 9:8-9; 1 Thess. 5:21 ).
B. IT DOES EMPHASIZE DEFINITE, POSITIVE GUIDELINES OF LIVING, AND
THIS SOMETIMES IS WHAT THE UNBELIEVER HAS IN MIND WHEN THE
CHARGE IS MADE THAT OUR FAITH FETTERS THOUGHT.
1. Does the infidel have as standard of behavior. If he does, does that not also and
as much fetter thought?
2. With this brand of “free thinking” where there is no restraint, is it possible for the
free thinker to live peacefully with his fellowman?
3. Getting down to the truth, the infidel wants no restraint at all ( Eph. 4:17-19 ).
A. SOME SAY OUR FAITH WILL NOT WORK IN THE 20th CENTURY.
1. What is practical? Give a better, more truthful alternative.
2. What is impractical about our faith?
3. What is so practical about the lives lived by the multitudes who don’t believe?
B. DO PROBLEMS EXIST NOW WHICH DIDN’T EXIST WHEN THE GOSPEL WAS
1. For example – Eph. 4:25.
2. Luke 10:25-29.
C. IS THE GOSPEL OUT OF DATE? ( Rom. 13:8-10 ).
D. WHY DO PEOPLE USE THIS EXCUSE? ( Heb. 13:4; Eph. 4:25ff.; 2 Pet. 2:10 ).
A. SOME SAY THAT OUR FAITH DEALS WITH INDIVIDUAL SALVATION, AND
WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS INSTEAD IS SOCIAL SALVATION.
B. SOME SOCIAL CHANGE IS GOOD, BUT HOW IS THAT ACCOMPLISHED
WITHOUT FIRST CHANGING PEOPLE?
1. Douglas MacArthur – “The springs of human conflict cannot be eradicated
through institutions, but only the reform of the individual human being.”
2. Homer Hailey – “We can only bring the nation back to God by working on the
heart of the individual.”
3. Barry Goldwater – “Morality cannot be legislated, but must spring from the
hearts of the individual.”
C. THE BIBLE WORKS ON THE INDIVIDUAL
( Acts 17:30; 2 Cor. 5:10; 1 Pet. 5:7; Rev. 22:17 )
D. THE REASON MANY PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE THE “SOCIAL” PROGRAM OF
THE BIBLE IS THAT IT BEGINS WITH THEM AS INDIVIDUALS. IT
REQUIRES UNSELFISHNESS, SELF-CONTROL, PATIENCE.
A. THE GOSPEL IS A SWORD THAT I AM TO WIELD FOR THE LORD
( Eph. 6:17 ).
B. BEFORE I CAN PICK IT UP, IT WILL CUT ME, TOO.
C. PEOPLE REALLY DON’T LIKE TO BE DISTURBED, BUT THEY NEED TO BE
AWAKE. WE MUST LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REASONS AND