A. NOT THE SAME PERSON. I DON'T THINK OR ACT THE SAME. IF I DO
THEN I AM NOT A TRUE DISCIPLE OF CHRIST ( John 8:31 ).
1. 2 Cor. 5:17. Christians are "New Creatures."
2. 1 Pet. 4:1-2. Christians realize the futility of pursuing the lusts of men and
materialism, and desire to conform self to the will of God.
3. Acts 2:40. If my desire still is to be like those around me, I don't possess an
understanding of what it means to be a Christian ( Rom. 12:2 ).
B. THE BLESSING OF BEING A CHRISTIAN IS ACCOMPANIED BY SOME
C. WE NEED TO KNOW WHO WE ARE! IF I CAN COME TO A BETTER
UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT A CHRISTIAN IS, I CAN THEN KNOW
WHAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR IS EXPECTED OF ME IN VARIOUS
SITUATIONS OF LIFE.
A. NEGATIVELY: WHAT A CHRISTIAN IS NOT.
1. Not just a "church-goer."
2. Not just someone I have loved who is now dead. Sometimes loved ones who
have "passed on" are designated "Christian" out of respect. I must learn that a
Christian is more than just being loved after I have died.
3. Not just a "good moral man" ( Acts 10:1-2; 23:1 ).
“I never hurt anybody.” – “I never did anything really wrong.”
B. POSITIVELY: CHRISTIANS ARE...
1. Disciples ( Mat. 11:29; John 8:31 ). Denotes teacher/learner relationship.
2. Believers ( Phil. 3:3; John 20:30-31 ).
3. Saints ( Rom. 1;7; 12:2; 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; 1 Pet. 1:2 ).
4. Brethren ( 1 John 3:1-3; 1 Pet. 3:8 ).
5. Priests ( 1 Pet. 2:5,9; Rom. 12:1 ).
A. I MUST FIRST BECOME DISSATISFIED WITH MY OLD WAY OF LIVING.
1. Mat. 11:28-30...only the heavy laden will be interested in a new life.
2. Mat. 5:4...only those that mourn their sin will search for comfort.
3. Mat. 16:26...Must see the utter futility of having no greater ambition than self
gratification( 1 Pet. 4:2 ).
B. I MUST REALIZE THAT I ACT THE WAY I THINK( Mat. 12:33-35 ).
1. If I am to change the way I live I must first change the way I think, what I like
and dislike( Rom. 12:9 ).
2. Without any inner change, an outer change is hypocrisy( Eph. 4:20-24 ).
C. ANY ATTEMPT TO CONFORM TO THE LORD'S WILL WITHOUT ANY
REAL CHANGE WITHIN WILL RESULT IN FRUSTRATION( James 1:5-8 ).
THE MIND MUST BE RENEWED ( Rom. 12:2 ).
D. MANY OF THE THINGS WHICH I NEVER BEFORE SAW THE HARM OF
MUST BE PUT AWAY. IF I INSIST ON LIVING THE SAME, WHY BE A
E. KNOWLEDGE IS NECESSARY TO SUCCEED( Phil. 1:9-10 ).
A. I MUST SIMPLY UNDERSTAND THAT BECOMING A CHRISTIAN
1. A change of affection.
2. An alteration of thinking.
3. A transformation of life.
B. I CANNOT THINK OF MYSELF AS A CHRISTIAN AND LIVE AS I DID