A. "TO TRAIN TO OBEDIENCE OR SUBJECTION. 2. TO DRILL, EDUCATE. 3. TO PUNISH." (Webster)
B. OUR TEXT DEALS WITH THE LATTER PART OF THIS DEFINITION.
C. WHAT DO THE SCRIPTURES TEACH ON CORRECTIVE DISCIPLINE?
A. ALL FROM TIME TO TIME ( Heb. 12:5-7, 10-11 ).
B. AS FAR AS THE CHURCH IS CONCERNED, LOOK AT THESE VERSES.
1. Matt. 18:15-17. Deals with one who refuses to get along.
2. Rom. 16:17-18. Those who teach falsely by word or example.
3. 1 Cor. 5:1-5. Those engaged in sinful activities.
4. 2 Thes. 3:6. Those who walk disorderly. With slackness, like soldiers not
keeping rank, out of one's place, undisciplined.
5. 2 Thes. 3:14. "Any man obeyeth not our word by this epistle." Would
include all of the apostles teachings as no one is more important than another.
6. Titus 3:10-11. The heretic.
7. 1 Tim. 5:19-20. Elders that sin.
A. INVOLVES OFFICIAL ACTION OF CHURCH( 1 Cor. 5:4; Matt. 18:17 ).
B. ANY WORK THAT THE CHURCH DOES IS CARRIED OUT BY ALL THE
INDIVIDUALS IN THE CHURCH. SO THE CONGREGATIONAL ACTION IS
PUT IN TERMS OF INDIVIDUAL ACTION( 2 Thes. 3:6 ).
C. ANY UNGODLINESS IN ANY BROTHER MUST BE WARNED AGAINST
( Gal. 6:1; Heb. 3:12; 1 Thes. 5:14 ).
D. BUT THE ACTION WAS ALWAYS COMMANDED WHEN THE SIN WAS
ENTERED INTO IN SPITE OF INSTRUCTION( 1 Cor. 5:6-8 ).
E. WHAT IS THE INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY WHEN ACTION IS TAKEN?
1. Rom. 16:17. "Mark than man," "Avoid."
2. 1 Cor. 5. Seven expressions.
3. 2 Thes. "Withdraw yourselves." "Have no company with him."
4. 1 Tim. 5:19-20. "Reprove in the sight of all."
5. Titus 3:10. "After a first and second admonition refuse."
F. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TO BE TOWARD SUCH( 2 Thes. 3:15 ).
G. AND IF THEY REPENT?( 2 Cor. 2:5-11 ).
H. BUT WE MUST REMEMBER THAT WHETHER THE CHURCH TAKES
ACTION OR NOT, THESE STILL HAVE BROKEN FELLOWSHIP WITH US
( 1 John 1:3, 6-7; Eph. 5:11 ).
A. IT IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SINNER.
1. It makes him aware of his sin.
2. It makes him aware of our concern for him.
3. It motivates him to repent( 1 Cor. 5:5 ).
4. Though the action is not taken to humiliate, the result is always shame
( 2 Thes. 3:14 ).
5. If it is successful, the sinner will feel sorrow( 2 Cor. 2:5-7; 7:10 ).
B. IT IS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE CHURCH.
1. It should end the sinner's influence( 1 Cor. 5:6-8 ).
2. It should cause fear of God in the church( Acts 5:11; 1 Tim. 5:20 )
C. THOSE ON THE OUTSIDE KNOW WE'RE SERIOUS.
A. Acts 20:28; 1 Thes. 5:12-13; 1 Pet. 5:2-3.
B. ELDERS ARE WATCHMEN( Heb. 13:17; Ez. 33:7-9 ).
C. THE SCRIPTURES TEACH AGAINST PARTIALITY AND THOUGHTLESS
HASTE( 1 Tim. 5:21-22 ).
D. THEY ALSO TEACH THAT THOSE WHO FAIL IN THEIR DUTY WILL BE
LOST( Heb. 13:17 ).
A. CONTRARY TO TRADITIONS - WE'RE NOT USED TO IT.
B. BECAUSE "THERE'S TOO MUCH SIN IN THE CHURCH."
C. BECAUSE WE ARE TOO WEAK.
D. WE ARE AFRAID OF WHAT THE CHURCH WILL DO.
E. WE DON'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED.
A. THIS IS NO NEW DOCTRINE.
B. DO WE LACK THIS "IDENTIFYING MARK" OF THE NEW TESTAMENT