A. TOO QUICK TO BRAND AS FOOLISH THINGS WE DON'T UNDERSTAND.
B. TRUE ABOUT GOD'S REVELATION OF HIS WILL.
1. The finite mind cannot comprehend the infinite( Isa. 55:8-9 ).
2. God doesn't need a counsellor( 1 Cor. 2:16 ).
3. Somethings are hidden from us( Deut. 29:29 ).
C. THERE IS NO FOOLISHNESS IN GOD'S WILL.
A. GALILEO taught the earth was not the center, but the sun. Catholic reaction.
B. COLUMBUS believed the earth was round. Laughed at. ( Isa. 40:22 ).
C. ROBERT FULTON, Fulton's Folly believed dangerous and unworkable.
D. SEWARD'S ICEBOX, $7,200,000. Paid for in first year by its fishing industry.
E. SAMUEL MORSE, telegraph. WRIGHT BROS., BELL, EDISON.
F. ALL THESE SUCCEEDED IN SPITE OF RIDICULE.
A. NOAH'S ARK( Heb. 11:1, 6 ). In the middle of dry land.
B. MOSES STRIKING THE ROCK( Exo. 17:6 ). Think about it.
C. A BRAZEN SERPENT( Num. 21:8 ). No logic there.
D. CIRCLING JERICHO( Josh. 6:4-5 ).
E. REDUCING THE ARMY FROM 32,300 TO 300( Judges 7 ).
F. NAAMAN DIPPING IN THE JORDAN( 2 Kings 5 ). No logic there either.
A. SALVATION BY FAITH SEEMS FOOLISH TO SOME.
1. Some deny sin and the need( Rom. 3:23; 6:23 ).
2. Surely, my God wouldn't send people to Hell( John 8:24; Rev. 21:8 ).
3. Believing and obeying the gospel is God's power to save( Rom. 1:16 ).
4. The gospel of Jesus is God's power( Acts 4:12; 1 Cor. 1:21-24 ).
5. But we must have faith( Heb. 11:6; Mark 16:16 ).
B. THE NECESSITY OF REPENTANCE IS FOOLISH TO SOME.
1. Repentance, metanoia "afterthought, change of mind, repentance."
a. Change of knowledge( Acts 17:30 ).
b. Change of affections( Rom. 12:9 ).
c. Change of action( Matt. 7:16-18; Col. 3:9-10 ).
d. Demands restitution where possible( Luke 19:8 ).
2. This kind of change is too much for some.
C. BAPTISM FOR REMISSION OF SINS SEEMS FOOLISH TO UNBELIEVERS.
1. No logical connection( 1 Pet. 3:21 ).
2. Jesus commanded baptism and gave to it its purpose
( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Rom. 6:3-4 ).
3. What was the reaction of the people?
a. They did not demand to see the logic, but recognized his authority
( Matt. 28:18-20 )..
b. Those who believed did what?( Act 2:41; 8:12 ).
A. MANY THINGS GOD HAS DONE ARE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING.
B. GOD REVEALS TO ME THAT WHICH I MUST ACCEPT TO BE BLESSED;
AND THAT I ACCEPT IN TRUSTING FAITH.
C. WILL YOU DEMONSTRATE YOUR FAITH OBEYING?