A. CHRISTIANS FALL AWAY FOR VARIOUS REASONS.
1. Some past restoring ( Heb. 6:4-6 )
2. We must make every effort possible to restore ( Matt. 18:15-17 ).
B. NOT A LESSON ON CORRECTIVE DISCIPLINE.
C. ONE ON ACTION TOWARD THE ERRING WHILE TRYING TO RESTORE.
A. RESTORE, katartizo-"to render, that is, to fit, sound, complete
1. to mend (what has been broken or rent), to repair, to complete
2. to strengthen, to perfect, to complete, to make one what he ought to be (Thayer)
B. ERRING, paraptoma-1) to fall beside or near something 2) a lapse or deviation
from truth and uprightness a sin, a misdeed. ( Thayer )
1. Restore an old car or house.
2. Neglect or abuse can cause such to need restoring.
3. Tools used depend upon the condition of the object in need of restoring.
a. sledge hammer to remove some things in order to replace.
b. screw driver to remove, refinish, repair, and put back in use.
A. John16:8 . SAME WORD THAT CONVICTS ALIEN CONVICTS BROTHER.
B. WITNESSES USED TO VERIFY SIN( Matt. 18:15-17 ).
1. One cannot repent of something he/she does not think is wrong.
2. Going through outward motions is not repentance.
A. SAVE A SOUL FROM DEATH( Jas. 5:19-20 ).
B. HE IS IN A WRETCHED CONDITION( 2 Pet. 2:20-22; Acts 8:21-23 ).
1. What could be worse than being separated from God? ( Isa. 59:1-2 ).
2. A soul is valuable, because it will endure forever ( Luke. 12:4-5 ).
A. ASAP ( Heb. 3:12-13; 10:24-25; 1 Cor. 5:6 )
1. Keeping a house or car in good shape is easier than letting it go.
2. Repair leak as soon as notice it--saves much damage later.
B. THE LONGER ONE STAYS IN SIN, THE MORE ENTRENCHED ONE
BECOMES( Eph. 4:19; Heb. 3:13 ).
C. HOW LONG DID PETER WAIT? (Acts 8:20-23) PAUL?( Gal. 2:14 )
A. ANYONE WHO STRAYS FROM THE TRUTH.
1. Apollos was in need of correction ( Acts 18:24-26 ).
2. Peter, an apostle, was not above rebuke ( Gal. 2:11-14 ).
3. Simon ( Acts 8:20-24 ).
B. DANGER THAT WE MAY NOT FEEL QUALIFIED TO SPEAK TO SOME.
1. Lord no respecter of persons ( Rom. 2:11 ).
2. Must learn not to think of men above what is written ( 1 Cor. 4:6 ).
3. Ye who are spiritual, pneumatikos , non-carnal( 1 Cor. 3:1-3; Col. 3:1-2 ).
A. AS WE WOULD DEAL WE WITH CHILDREN( 1 Thess. 2:1-12 ).
B. GENTLY ( Gal. 6:1; Eph. 4:2 ).
C. AS WE WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED( Matt. 7:12 ).
D. NEVER RUDE OR CONDESCENDING( 2 Tim. 2:24-26 )
E. MAKE SURE OUR LIFE IS WHAT IT OUGHT TO BE( Matt. 7:1-5 ).
F. VARIOUS CLASSES REQUIRE DIFFERENT APPROACHES( Jude 22-23 ).
1. Some will be honest doubters - deal with tenderly, patiently.
2. Others will be more advanced in error( 1 Cor. 4:21 ).
A. CAN BE POSITIVE( Acts 2:38-41; 8:24 ).
B. CAN BE NEGATIVE( Gal. 4:15-16; Acts 7:59; 14:19 ).
C. WHO DO WE SERVE?( Acts 20:26-27; Gal. 1:10 ).
A. FORGIVE( Luke 17:1-4 ).
B. ACCEPTING AND COMFORTING ( 2 Cor. 2:3-11 ).
C. JOYFUL( 2 Cor. 7:2-12 ).
A. ALL OF US SIN( 1 John. 1:8, 10 ).
B. ALL OF US NEED FORGIVENESS.
C. vs. 6-7, 9. ARE YOU WALKING IN THE LIGHT?