A. THE GOSPEL TO BE PREACHED TO ALL( Mark 16:15-16 ).
B. SAME GOSPEL IS TO BE PREACHED, SOME HAVE TAUGHT ANOTHER.
C. 1 Cor. 15:1-4. THE GOSPEL WHICH I PREACHED.
1. The heart - the death, burial and resurrection. Paul pursues the resurrection.
2. Notice how much is included. His death alone is not enough. He was raised.
3. Also necessary was an ascension for the offering of blood in the holy of holies.
A. THE DAY OF ATONEMENT PREFIGURES CHRIST'S SACRIFICE.
1. The Old Law bears witness to the New( Rom. 3:21-22 ).
2. Use of types - like the type on a typewriter( Heb. 8:5; 9:9, 23-24; 10:1 ).
3. Differences will be seen. The similarities are where the lesson is.
4. Let the New Testament draw the lesson. Don't go beyond. Not everything has meaning.
B. THE DAY OF ATONEMENT( Lev. 16 ).
1. The pattern of the tabernacle.
2. The officient( vs. 3, Lev. 8 ).
3. The time of the sacrifice( vs. 29, 34 ).
4. vs. 3, 5. The elements and order of the sacrifices.
a. The bullock for himself( vs. 6, 11-14 ).
b. The first goat – “For Jehovah” – Sin-offering and the tabernacle
(vs. 8-9, 15-19, 27 ).
c. The second goat – “For Azazel – the Scapegoat( vs. 20-22 ).
The sins of the people carried away.
:C. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF ALL THIS( Heb. 8:1-2; 9 ).
Hebrews describes the service( 9:1-28 ).
a. Description of the tabernacle from the viewpoint of the NT( vs. 1-5 ).
b. Description of the service itself( vs. 6-7 ). “…not without blood.”
c. A reminder( vs. 8-10 ). What this meant wasn’t revealed to Moses.
d. It was to us( 1 Pet. 1:12 ).
A. THE GREATER TABERNACLE – THE PRESENCE OF GOD.
1. The tabernacle, the church. ( vs. 11; 1 Pet. 2:5; 1 Cor. 3:16-17 ).
2. The holy of holies( vs. 24 )
B. THE GREATER PREISTHOOD.
1. Compares Jesus’ priesthood to Melchizedek( 7:1-3 ).
2. Greater than Abraham. Why? Abraham greater than Levi.( vs. 4-10 ).
3. Jesus called after the order of Melchizedek( 5:5-6; 7:17 ).
4. A change in the law necessary( vs. 11-17 ).
5. Jesus is our priest( vs. 26-28 ).
C. THE GREATER SACRIFICE( vs. 11, 22 ).
1. Through his own blood obtained eternal redemption( vs. 12 ).
2. Blood of bulls and goats cleansed the flesh( vs. 13 ).
Ceremonially clean( 10:1-4 ).
3. Blood of Christ cleanse your conscience( vs. 14 ).
Animal blood could not do this!
D. JESUS WAS AT ONCE BOTH PRIEST AND SACRIFICE( 9:23-26 ).
F. WHERE DOES THE SCAPEGOAT COME IN?
1. The necessity of shedding blood – death( 9:22; Rom. 6:23 ).
Death of the sinner is the answer to justice.
2. The Scapegoat and the sins of the people( Lev. 16:20-22 ).
The sins of the people are born away.
3. Jesus bears our sins away( Heb. 9:28; 2 Pet. 2:24 ).
4. His death answers justice for us( Rom. 3:23-26 ).
5. Through his death we all die( 2 Cor. 5:14-15 ).
6. But we fellowship him in his death when we are bapized( Rom. 6:3-4, 7 ).
A. 1 Cor. 15:1-4. PAUL MENTIONS DEATH, BURIAL, RESURRECTION.
B. HIS RESURRECTION HAS A NECESSARY PLACE( Rom. 5:8-10 ).
C. HIS ASCENSION WAS NECESSARY.
1. The sacrifice not complete without it( Heb. 9:24-26 )
2. It precedes his reign( Heb. 10:11-13; 1:3 ).
D. ALL OF THIS IS A PART OF THE GOSPEL. IF ANY OF THESE THINGS IS MISSING, THE GOSPEL IS INCOMPLETE.
A. CHANGE IN THE SACRIFICE( Heb. 10:9).
B. CHANGE IN THE PRIESTHOOD( 8:3-4; 7:26-28 ).
C. CHANGE IN THE LAW( 7:12 ).
D. Col. 2:13-14. “NAILING IT TO THE CROSS” – MEANING OF THE CROSS.
1. Everything in the gospel( 1 Cor. 1:17-18; Gal. 5:11; 6:14; Phil. 3:18 ).
2. So when was the Old Law nailed? On Pentecost. All is necessary, not just his death.
A. HOW DO WE ACCESS HIS SACRIFICE( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
B. THE EUNUCH( Acts 8:35-38 ). WHAT WAS PREACHED TO HIM? HIS RESPONSE?